FILM Photographer of the Year 2019 - Discussion

Filmdev came good, bless 'em! Scans came through this afternoon. The shots I was hoping for, however, not so much. May have found an alternative, though...

Apologies for the error last night, I completely forgot the second part of the rule and submitted an older photo, from February. That might possibly teach me not to try to make the selection late on the last night... but probably not! :( Too late to put in one of the options from this month, too. :(:( Oh well...

Apologies for the error last night, I completely forgot the second part of the rule and submitted an older photo, from February. That might possibly teach me not to try to make the selection late on the last night... but probably not! :( Too late to put in one of the options from this month, too. :(:( Oh well...

In one month it was quite a challenge for some (esp townies) as you have to use a roll of film up in your spare time and hope in that time you have decent weather for the shot (hard luck if you live in places like Cumbria great scenery but it's always raining)......and allow time to send off for dev and scan.
In this month think I've taken better shots but yet to finish the film up anyway there is always the thread, to add the shot, that you could have posted

In one month it was quite a challenge for some (esp townies) as you have to use a roll of film up in your spare time and hope in that time you have decent weather for the shot (hard luck if you live in places like Cumbria great scenery but it's always raining)......and allow time to send off for dev and scan.
In this month think I've taken better shots but yet to finish the film up anyway there is always the thread, to add the shot, that you could have posted

Townies could always have gone for an urban / industrial landscape if they'd not wanted (or had the opportunity) to head out into the countryside though. Also, while it depends to some extent on your mode of transport and the gear you're using, I'd argue that "bad" weather can often be the best weather to shoot in - it adds a ton of atmosphere.

I'd argue that "bad" weather can often be the best weather to shoot in - it adds a ton of atmosphere.

Definately agree with this, I think the most dramatic weather for photos usually occurs when the weather is changing in one way or another.

It's amazing how many people who know I'm into photography say things like "great weather for photography, eh?" When it's a blue cloudless summer sky. Erm, no.

Didn't manage to get a shot for May in the end, as I didn't have make the time for it. I am really looking forward to this month though, I haven't taken my photo yet but I've got loads of ideas for it.

Nige is right, as explained above on this thread, a city or townscape would have been fine providing it was a 'living landscape' shot. If I'd been entering the competition, I'd have probably tried one of those lots of people blurred to show movement type shots with a city street backdrop. However, as I've never taken a shot like that before it might not have been as good on film as it looks in my imagination!

h'mm and yet all the shots entered are in decent weather...where are all the shots in the pouring rain ;) you have to be very keen to look out of the window in the morning, and it's drizzling or raining, and say to yourself "I think I'll go out and take some shots". o_O

h'mm and yet all the shots entered are in decent weather...where are all the shots in the pouring rain ;) you have to be very keen to look out of the window in the morning, and it's drizzling or raining, and say to yourself "I think I'll go out and take some shots". o_O
It's a fair point Brian, but my curse tends to be uninteresting grey skies on dull days, rather than dramatic storm clouds and lighting. I was out in the rain on the Onich trip, and never really got much that I liked. I would have a go if it looked like it might get dramatic, but I might use another type of camera.:eek:

Mine is in nice weather because that happened to be the day that I got my best shot for the comp. The other two days I took potential photos to enter were rainy, but the shots I got didn't work as well - not because of the rain, I just didn't like them as much (although I've maybe got a couple of shots in the bag from them for later themes).

Because of work and other commitments I can't afford to wait for the right weather to go out, so I tend to change my plans to suit the conditions rather than miss the opportunity to get some pictures.

It's a fair point Brian, but my curse tends to be uninteresting grey skies on dull days, rather than dramatic storm clouds and lighting. I was out in the rain on the Onich trip, and never really got much that I liked. I would have a go if it looked like it might get dramatic, but I might use another type of camera.:eek:

I must admit that flat grey skies are the worst (unless they are misty / foggy). But, even then, they can be good days for woodlands or photographing flowers and suchlike where harsher light can be detrimental.

Well I think everyone missed my point as I love shots like the one below, but everyone has 3.5 weeks to get a shot and as I mentioned before:- the weather, time of year, subject, features to support your shot etc etc.....has to fit together for a VG shot and not just a snap.
Just luck for this shot as IMO without the thunderstorm approaching it would be boring.
bad weather.jpg

@ChrisR I really wish you'd entered that lovely shot of the trees and horses :(

Why thank you Janet... so do I! I do have a habit of over-thinking these things. But the first rule is, read the exam question, and the second question is, don't be an idiot. I'm sure there's a 3rd rule. but I've quite forgotten it. :D

Why thank you Janet... so do I! I do have a habit of over-thinking these things. But the first rule is, read the exam question, and the second question is, don't be an idiot. I'm sure there's a 3rd rule. but I've quite forgotten it. :D
The third rule is, don't forget the rules! :whistle: ;)

Last edited:
Entries for June's competition close at midnight on Sunday. Just 3 full days left to enter :eek:

It's finally happened that the weather up here today is too warm to develop my b&w at 20C. :cool: I'm guessing it'll cool down enough later, though, so maybe there'll be something woody on it. :thinking:

Leave some water in the fridge for a while? As @RaglanSurf said to me once "you just have to be a bit more organised, Chris!".... I did make a diplomatic response, IIRC :D

It's finally happened that the weather up here today is too warm to develop my b&w at 20C. :cool: I'm guessing it'll cool down enough later, though, so maybe there'll be something woody on it. :thinking:

It might be too hot for C41 on the continent :eek:

I left the back door open and there was just enough cool to bring the temperature down to 20C by 10 o'clock. Film now hanging up to dry, which I suspect won't take long! And it was still daylight, so no problem with moths either. :)

Last edited:
Took my photo this afternoon and have also just developed it :D

On an unrelated note, does anyone want to make a guess at how many parts a thermometer will break into when it hits a tiled kitchen floor? I'll give you a hint- it's more than a thousand. :shifty:

On an unrelated note, does anyone want to make a guess at how many parts a thermometer will break into when it hits a tiled kitchen floor? I'll give you a hint- it's more than a thousand. :shifty:
As long as it isn't a mercury one .................. :eek::eek::eek:

Thats kinda why I got one of those ones with a dial on top, after I dropped my glass one a couple of times and got lucky with it not breaking.

......and I noticed Carl is still using an old fashioned plane h'mm I threw all mine away years ago o_O
My other photo for this month was somewhat similar to Carls with a hand plane in the background. I would never get rid of a hand plane* there are times when nothing else will do.

That's not old fashioned :) I'm still using my grandfather's planes made out of wood.
Hmm, I had my grandfathers wooden plane which I hadn't thought about for decades until you mentioned it but I'm fairly sure I don't have it now. I wonder where it went...

* quick count I own 5, plus two electric. GAS, moi? I only took up photography because I had run out of tools to buy :eek:

So, diptych or triptych... I assume we're talking here about a single image created from 2 or more film photos? (Though other possibilities are available...) Ie, NOT 2 or 3 separate images in one post...

Or a photo of a diptych or triptych? (although that sounds bit specific).

Back