FILM Photographer of the Year 2020 Discussion Thread ***Final Scores Added***

On a different note, we have Stranger Portrait coming up later in the year. I've taken a couple of these in the past; they required quite a lot of nerve at the time (and I've since missed many other opportunities through failed nerve). But, though I told them that I was entering a competition, I didn't get any kind of formal permission (like a model release). Should I have done?

I'm quite specifically not attempting to make any money from such pics, and I did get email addresses and send them the files for free, though I didn't hear back from either.

But, though I told them that I was entering a competition, I didn't get any kind of formal permission (like a model release). Should I have done?

Assuming UK as the location and a public place where you took it, you only need permission or consent if you intend commercial use. I think anyone would be hard pushed to describe FPoTY as "commercial use"...

On a different note, we have Stranger Portrait coming up later in the year. I've taken a couple of these in the past; they required quite a lot of nerve at the time (and I've since missed many other opportunities through failed nerve). But, though I told them that I was entering a competition, I didn't get any kind of formal permission (like a model release). Should I have done?

I'm quite specifically not attempting to make any money from such pics, and I did get email addresses and send them the files for free, though I didn't hear back from either.

Some 'strangers' love to have their photo taken.

Thanks both!

we have Stranger Portrait coming up later in the year. I've taken a couple of these in the past; they required quite a lot of nerve at the time (and I've since missed many other opportunities through failed nerve)

Presumably you’re talking of capturing a stranger on 35mm.
Tbh that’s reasonably easy with a longish lens...... give a thought to me trying to obtain a shot worthy of entering in FPOTY using LF kit!!!:oops: :$

Presumably you’re talking of capturing a stranger on 35mm.
Tbh that’s reasonably easy with a longish lens...... give a thought to me trying to obtain a shot worthy of entering in FPOTY using LF kit!!!:oops: :$

Actually I think the novelty value of that to the subject could be appealing, but you'd have to be organised and set up in a location with passing traffic and invite some to sit, I think. Part of the problem is that there are specific face types that interest me, more often older, craggy faces, and some of their owners are probably hanging onto a much earlier, smoother body image!

@RaglanSurf

Question concerning the theme of ´stranger portrait’

Is it obligatory for the portrait to be of a sole person or are images of couples accepted?

@RaglanSurf

Question concerning the theme of ´stranger portrait’

Is it obligatory for the portrait to be of a sole person or are images of couples accepted?
As far as I'm concerned it can be a single, couple or group portrait and although not explicit in the rules I personally would suggest that it needs to be of human form but as always the votes will let you know what's acceptable and what isn't.

Group!!!!???!!!
Not a chance!......it would be a nightmare deciding which pair of [emoji102] to focus on [emoji23]

There wasn't mush room for error with my entry this month:LOL:

For a few minutes I thought I was going crackers as I was certain that I had seen the thread for WILD entries posted a few days ago but could I find it? NO! cos it has dropped almost off the bottom of the page !

@RaglanSurf ...Presumably the thread needs some flour & water mix to keep it stuck at the top with the other stickies?

For a few minutes I thought I was going crackers as I was certain that I had seen the thread for WILD entries posted a few days ago but could I find it? NO! cos it has dropped almost off the bottom of the page !

@RaglanSurf ...Presumably the thread needs some flour & water mix to keep it stuck at the top with the other stickies?
Thanks Asha, I'll ask TBY to stickie it.

@TheBigYin can this be made a sticky please Mark https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...e-year-2020-march-wild-entries-thread.707799/

Thanks Mark

Voting for February ends just after midnight tonight, it's tight at the top again (y)

Last edited:
Results for February

1583750013347.png1583750137429.png

Blimey with this new system the leaders do rather gallop away, don't they! I think we can rely on @Andysnap to hide @Mrs Snap 's cameras at some point, but I don't know what we can do about @Kevin Allan !

PS, very well done, the both of you... ;)

Blimey with this new system the leaders do rather gallop away, don't they! I think we can rely on @Andysnap to hide @Mrs Snap 's cameras at some point, but I don't know what we can do about @Kevin Allan !

No need to worry about me Chris. I'm quite capable of plummeting down the leaderboard without any assistance from Andy. ;):)

It's just an illusion Chris, it also means you can very quickly catch up.

My cameras are developing malfunctions at an abnormal rate; if I get to the "mystery stranger" month with a working camera I'll probably score zero for that subject.

I decided to send my one and only film off to Filmdev today after waiting unsuccessfully to see if our sparrowhawk would stop long enough for a photo, rather than zooming through. Just went into the kitchen and guess what was sitting on top of the hedge in full sunlight? Clearly, no loaded camera immediately to hand, and then it was off. :banghead: :banghead: :crying:

I decided to send my one and only film off to Filmdev today after waiting unsuccessfully to see if our sparrowhawk would stop long enough for a photo, rather than zooming through. Just went into the kitchen and guess what was sitting on top of the hedge in full sunlight? Clearly, no loaded camera immediately to hand, and then it was off. :banghead: :banghead: :crying:
I feel your pain, a couple of years ago I was in the garden and there was a bit of a commotion above the house, I looked up to see an osprey being mobbed by gulls. I thought, it'll be gone by the time I get a camera but I legged it inside, upstairs, got a body and lens together, back down stairs; osprey and gulls still there, turned the camera on to find the flippin' battery was flat :banghead:

I feel your pain, a couple of years ago I was in the garden and there was a bit of a commotion above the house, I looked up to see an osprey being mobbed by gulls. I thought, it'll be gone by the time I get a camera but I legged it inside, upstairs, got a body and lens together, back down stairs; osprey and gulls still there, turned the camera on to find the flippin' battery was flat :banghead:
Ouch! :eek:

Given present global events, perhaps some thought and opinions could do to be given concerning the themes of the FPOTY based on the fact that most would realisically require folk to venture outdoors and away from their homes,
Perhaps some themes could be obtained from our gardens and immediate surroundings but of course not everyone has a garden or lives in a rural area.

Like everyone , I wish for this viral problem to be brought under control sooner rather than later but being the realist that I am ( realist not pessimist!!) , I do think we could see ourselves locked down and / or very restricted for some time.

In the whole scheme of things the FPOTY is hardly of great importance ( sorry TP!), however it would be a shame for it not to continue and I see little reason as to why it shouldn't.
Not least of all as if we are to be stuck at home then the likelyhood is, a number of us will be spending an increased amount of time on TP and other forums / social media.

As this months theme is "WILD".......How are folk doing with obtaining an entry? I have been fortunate in so far as obtaining a suitable shot prior to lockdown but not everyone is going to be that lucky.

So what do you lot think, what do we do, do we change anything?

Stranger Portrait could be an interesting one! And I bet we were all looking forward to that theme :)

Ruin would have been the toughy for what I wanted but I got it prior to the latest travel restrictions.

I don't doubt we're only couple of weeks behind France in being even further restricted but at the moment getting out in the wilds is okay in the UK.

I'm okay with this months as I've gone for a, simple studio shot (that I must scan) some of the later ones might be more tricky to do in the shed.

Guess we just have to be a bit more imaginative than before.

Stranger Portrait could be an interesting one! And I bet we were all looking forward to that theme :)

That is the one that stands out the most for me tbh.
Appreciated it's a while off yet but nonetheless……..

EDIT: Seeing as I know b*gg*r all about myself and tbh I am a bit strange, maybe I could get away with a selfie :wideyed::LOL:

Last edited:
Having said that just remembered the other shot I wanted for this month would probably be tricky at the moment.

Well, I was planning on a selfie for Ruin :)

Looking at the list, apart from Stranger Portrait, they could all be done in the house or garden if people get creative. I suppose it might be a bit more challenging if you live in a flat or apartment.

Things will undoubtedly get quite a bit worse in the UK, and maybe quite soon. I've already heard of a friend's son being challenged by police in Spain for being out doors, and made to explain why. I've also seen a message on another website from someone living in France that
Shopping and other woes. We need to fill in and sign a form (each, and if going out for more than one reason a form each for each reason) saying what we're doing if we go out, and apparently there are gendarmes about checking on people - fines of I think 135Euros for being out and about 'unauthorized.' It makes sense, I guess, but it's all unclear as to what is really 'authorized.'

What if we postponed FPOTY and had an F&C (Film & Coronavirus) Challenge this year instead, but with the existing topics? Best shoehorns encouraged, and scored like the Old Film Challenge?

Last edited:
What if we postponed FPOTY and had an F&C (Film & Coronavirus) Challenge this year instead, but with the existing topics? Best shoehorns encouraged, and scored like the Old Film Challenge?

Personally I'm happy to go along with whatever everyone else wishes to do although if you haven't now got a chance to obtain a wild entry then tough, Nige and I can take podium slots ….Nah nah to the rest of ya!! :LOL:

KIDDING!!;)

Like most I have been assessing the continuation of FPOTY and can see the difficulties some may face. Of course if the majority decide that its too difficult to proceed then we'll have to reassess the competition.

I can see that "stranger portrait" is causing some concern but rather than changing it completely perhaps a different approach is needed.

Rather than viewing it as a portrait of a stranger maybe it could be a portrait created in a strange manner, I'll leave you to be creative with that one.

Also there may be some that have already shot their entry for that theme and it seems harsh to penalise them.

I'm really just thinking out loud here so I'm open to other suggestions, maybe we could extend stranger portrait to include self portraits?

Also, maybe we could fire, pestilence and plague themed months, should give everyone a chance.

I say let's just carry on and try and be creative. I'm currently practicing what I believe is called 'social distancing' as I'm in the high risk group so I won't be going out and about anywhere near as much so I can see a lot of still life stuff in my future :D:ROFLMAO:

Back