FILM Photographer of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks mate, took it before the film meet when I was strolling around Princes Street.

ah well my image finally turned up and got bugger all. I think my product shot will be a set of blinkers. Anything straying into the abstract end of things just gets nowhere and im wasting my time now i think.

July sorted in the fortunate position to pick from a few shots from the one roll, I'm really struggling to find the time for August though.

Aaaaarrrrggggghhhh, July might be a no-show for me! I've had a roll of Velvia back from Peak with only one vaguely possible on it (one where I can almost write the crit that goes with null points). I've been waiting for my roll of Portra to come back from Photo Express, composing bitter comments about their poor turnround... but I've just looked at the order form I re-used from last month (I re-made the form in Word last year), when we were going to be in Edinburgh so I had it posted there. And yes, I didn't change the delivery address, so that film will be sitting on the mat waiting for me next time, and I'm down south and we're going away this afternoon so it's all aaarrrggghhhh. :(

The results are in and surprisingly I was 1st in the film section and 6th overall. :thinking: Finally got something right. I was amused by one of the judges comments that the conversion to black and white worked as it was shot on Acros so no conversion necesary. :D

The results are in and surprisingly I was 1st in the film section and 6th overall. :thinking: Finally got something right. I was amused by one of the judges comments that the conversion to black and white worked as it was shot on Acros so no conversion necesary. :D

The very reason I have not participated this year. Incredible.

well done on the win, its a lovely shot. Shame the judges arent really aware of what theyre looking at though.

last couple of times we've had comments like that, I've pointed it out in the judging thread, but sadly it doesn't seem to register with them that it's an important distinction for film shooters - shooting monochrome being the first (or at least a very early) stage of the whole decision process, rather than just an after-thought, or a way of saving a shot that they'd mucked up the colour balance on.

And, I can confirm that in the judging thread they DO have access to the Film yes/no and other PP etc. info, it's all displayed along with the anonymised picture.

I agree it's a bit of a shame that they can't take a little more care, but frankly, it's a thankless task at best, and with all the complaining that goes on at whatever they do, I wouldn't blame them for just "finishing the year they committed to" then saying sod it, as - basically, that's how i've begun to feel about pointing out their little faux-pas...

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong Mark, I'm not complaining, just made me smile is all. Truth be told although they may know its film they don't know that I shot on b&w, I could have converted a colour shot.

Congratulations to everyone who scored film points this month. I liked Andy's and Steve's, but I must confess that Dale's sense of humour really tickled me!

I've now discovered I have the honour of being in two classes of one! I'm the only film shooter to have entered all 7 rounds and not scored a judges' point.... and also the only overall entrant to do the same!

Not that I would have given myself a point this month. :(

Plod on Chris, you will get points, your too good not to, it's just a case of finding the right shot I think.

Don't get me wrong Mark, I'm not complaining, just made me smile is all. Truth be told although they may know its film they don't know that I shot on b&w, I could have converted a colour shot.

Fair enough Andy, but there have been occasions when someone had said much the same about a B&W "Conversion" when it'd been clearly stated in the PP instructions that "Acros 100 B&W Home Developed and Scanned....blah,blah..." - now, even If I didn't shoot film - i'd take 30 seconds to google Acros 100 and see if it WAS colour or B&W film before saying something that'd make me look less than authoratative...

Nice one Andy, good work.
Chris, as has been said, youre too good not to score... frankly I'm amazed I've scored any at all.

I'm starting to think not only am I not that good (I knew that) but my style doesn't work for competitions of this nature. I'll finish the year, I've got most of the shots, but I doubt I'll hurry back next year.

Thanks Mads.

Steve, I felt the same but I'm using my horrendous start as a sprinboard to success.....:D
I think we should all try and enter as if we don't then next year there might not be a stunningly good prize to aim for, not that I'm under any illusions, I've got no chance of winning it.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. TBH, this year I'm not managing to put the concentrated time in, and it has mostly been a question of picking through the shots that were vaguely taken with the theme in mind. I've now got two rolls finished and ready to go off for processing, one was mostly shot yesterday in a dedicated afternoon session with the theme front and centre... bit more hopeful!

I've been wondering about not entering next year, but instead doing another 52. I really thought the feedback on that (every participant is supposed to give feedback to everyone else, although it soon boils down to a few conscientious and helpful ones) did improve my photography, and even though the themes were often a pain, exercising my imagination is another area that needs a lot of work!

Just got back after a few days away, congratulations to @Andysnap for a magnificent product shot and to all the other filmies that scored points. I didn't manage to enter last month I think I was a bit thrown by the product shot category morphing into an advert and I wasn't on me hols either, I have higher hopes for this month.
@ChrisR don't despair Chris I'm sure you'll crack it soon, keep at it.

Lovely Rollei shot... makes me want to buy one even more :)

Thanks Steve, they are a super little camera, quickly becoming my favourite.

Ruhroh, just been out to reccy my photo for next month, not sure it'll fly...

I'm starting to get the feeling that judge A doesn't like Portra, both mine and Andy's have a comment about needing more punch which is kind of the opposite of the nice pastels I was looking for.

Any way @Steve that is f*#&%@£ stunning, you must share details :)

Nick, were you sleeping in that bed? @RaglanSurf
Of course Steve :) Who else is stupid enough to take a shot of themselves that has an exposure of 71/2 hours on a 4x5 pinhole, aperture of f235, with the only light coming from from a streetlight and the light from the hall thriugh a crack in the door, shot on FP4 and stand dev'd in Rodinal for an hour, and then enter it into a competition? I am am proud of my achievements even if I am unappreciated :D

Last edited:
Of course Steve :) Who else is going to take a shot that has an exposure of 71/2 hours on a 4x5 pinhole, aperture of f235, shot on FP4 and stand dev'd in
Rodinal for an hourl? I am am proud of my achievements even if I am unappreciated :D

Bloody hell was that a cave or did you shoot it on fomapan? It took me a minute to get your shot but I assumed it was just one night on a more traditional camera.

I'm starting to get the feeling that judge A doesn't like Portra, both mine and Andy's have a comment about needing more punch which is kind of the opposite of the nice pastels I was looking for.

Also another comment about "mono conversion" of a B&W film shot, and I'm guessing from the comment about grain on Nick's shot they were thinking of sensor noise.

I don't want to criticise any judges, because they're doing a thankless, difficult job, but it's obvious that film entrants aren't playing on a level playing field.

Bloody hell was that a cave or did you shoot it on fomapan? It took me a minute to get your shot but I assumed it was just one night on a more traditional camera.
Sorry Steve , just added a few more production notes to the first post ;)

Well done again Steve, it was a cracking shot and it's nice to see it won the overall month as well. This was another month when I entered something before thinking it through. I was very pleased with the shot and just entered it rather than taking my time and entering something interesting. Hey ho, at least I'm learning.

BTW after submitting mine, I had a look again and started to worry that there was too much sexual imagery in it (various objects often as metaphors for various genitalia), plus a knife... luckily the judges didn't seem to spot that!

.... and some great shots in this round, very very varied, and I thought the film togs gave pretty darn good account of ourselves... well, obviously, seeing as @Steve won with that amazing shot. TBH I really liked them all, shame about some of the comments. @steveo_mcg I wonder how much colour there actually is in moonlight?

But actually, in its really spooky way, @RaglanSurf 's ghostly sleeper is a real winner! You should maybe have given them some more clues in the title, Nick!

Using up film and playing with exposure I was amazed that my moon light shots were colourful, of furniture on the patio also shots of cars in the front garden........ mind you I'm not an expert of moon light and some reflective light from the house might have affected my tests.

.... and some great shots in this round, very very varied, and I thought the film togs gave pretty darn good account of ourselves... well, obviously, seeing as @Steve won with that amazing shot. TBH I really liked them all, shame about some of the comments. @steveo_mcg I wonder how much colour there actually is in moonlight?

But actually, in its really spooky way, @RaglanSurf 's ghostly sleeper is a real winner! You should maybe have given them some more clues in the title, Nick!

I'm not sure, I actually always envisioned the middle one being b&w but I had intended to shoot a frame of portra for reference. In the end I didn't because... I forgot on the night but also I couldn't find any reciprocity information for portra whilst acros is very simple.

Oh dear. I've got my "last chance saloon" film back, and none of the variations of my "fashion" idea worked out quite the way I wanted. Just need to select the best and then work out if it is good enough to submit. However, having entered film shots for the last 23 straight months, I guess it's going to have to be good enough!

It'll be a while before we get the December results back, but I've been doing some maths and it seems to me that @Steve might rather have won himself a Leica, no matter how well he does in the last round! If I'm right, congratulations Steve, that's two years in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back