Film price update from Speedgraphic

Peter B

Double Numpty
Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
As outlined in their email this morning.

Film news​

FOMA A new more stylish pack design will no doubt appear across all stock soon. Not so great news is that they have stopped making 24-exposure film, citing lack of demand and difficulty in sourcing materials for making 35mm cassettes. We have just a small quantity of 24s left in stock in 100 and 400. Also prices will rise by 10% soon.

KODAK Just in is a very small delivery of Gold 200 in 24 and 36. All our cost prices are rising from March 1st by 5% to a whopping 45%. Amateur films will still mostly be under £10, but professional films more like £20, so buy now if we have some in stock! 35mm Colour 35mm B/W 120 Colour 120 B/W

ILFORD will be increasing prices by around 10% in mid-March. As usual, we will be buying stock to delay the pain for as long as possible.

CINESTILL Some of the new 400D in 120 format has just turned up.

Overall, the message is - stock up on your summer films now!
Say Hello on Facebook

Thanks for sharing that Peter

That's a shame Kodak professional prices are going crazy, they are expensive enough without an additional 45%

It is becoming too expensive a hobby, fortunately I do have a large stock in the fridge but once that's gone I think it will be the end of film photography for me.

I have at times wondered what concerns these often quite steep increases have on film camera manufacturers.

For instance in the uk you have intrepid who continue to surge forward with upgrades etc to their outfits and appear to have a fairly large market globally, nonetheless if as filmies we are no longer able to support the prices of consumables, clearly that will have a knock on effect as some of us pull out of analogue photography.

It is becoming too expensive a hobby, fortunately I do have a large stock in the fridge but once that's gone I think it will be the end of film photography for me.
I've got a few rolls of colour left in the fridge but I can't see me buying much more given the prices now. I'll carry on with b&w as I process cheaply at home, but I passed up a chance to buy a great Chamonix kit last year as I couldn't justify it on likely use.:confused:

I shall try and pick up any short date film if it's cheap enough but even b and w is getting pricey. I shall probably continue with shooting b and w though as, like Peter, I do dev at home to keep the cost down.

There doesn't seem much for us cheap skates to use does there?

If film prices get higher than the commercial dev places are going to see far less business. It was a golden age a few years ago with lots getting back into film.

I have at times wondered what concerns these often quite steep increases have on film camera manufacturers.

For instance in the uk you have intrepid who continue to surge forward with upgrades etc to their outfits and appear to have a fairly large market globally, nonetheless if as filmies we are no longer able to support the prices of consumables, clearly that will have a knock on effect as some of us pull out of analogue photography
Ive done a bit of reading and it seems black and white will be round indefinitely

Intrepid are starting to expand with a studio space and if the worst thing happened and they had to shut they could sell it all well as its mostly 3d printers and wood working equipment which will always be needed for now

In a sense large format might survive longest as once the film goes you can use positive paper, wet plate etc -maybe no more family portraits but still many creative options

Last edited by a moderator:
Plus if you're using large format, you can adopt a DIY approach to film and make your own wet or dry plates. The information is all out there. Photographers could still make photographs when no one was making the plates for them.

On the topic, Speedgraphic weren't selling/don't sell what I would want to buy.

And happily, I have enough in the fridge to keep me going for a while.

I have a good supply of Kodak Portra 160 and 400 120 film in my freezer which I bought while prices were more sensible for a long term project I am doing on Dartmoor. I also have a good stock of my favourite Provia 100F 120 for my personal work again most of it in my freezer plus a smattering of other colour films like Ektar and Sinestill 800T. As for 35mm I have a fair bit of Portra 160 and 400 and some Ektar ans Sinestill but I very rarely shoot 35mm film these days preferring to use digital for those type of shots. The biggest problem I have at the moment is finding a lab to get my Provia dev and scanned (to large TIFF) to my satisfaction, my regular lab has recently downsised and no longer does E6 and I am now on my 4th lab to try, Jack's Lab (thanks to @LeeRatters for the suggestion). I think if the film shooters drop off significantly because of the price increases then the availability of labs will dwindle also. Whilst I can do my own B&W developing (I don't use hardly any B&W) I have never done E6 developing and am reluctant to start the learning process with a limited supply of film and the cost of replacement.

Sad times indeed, I miss shooting colour. I don't see it getting any better given the limits on production capacity, as far as I know the only colour production facilities are Kodak, Fuji and Inoviscoat. As demand seems to be well ahead of supply it's likely the manufacturers will keep on increasing prices until demand comes closer to supply. Also, Fuji may just decide it's all too much bother as I doubt film revenue even amounts to a rounding error given the size of the Fuji conglomerate.

Apart from playing around with my Mamiya 16, this weekend's project is shooting a roll of Kodak Vision 3 250D film to see whether I can cope with the rem-jet removal hassle in development. If I can, I'm considering going over to bulk loading - what could possibly go wrong?!? :thinking:

The next question will be whether to cross process in C41(the chemistry seems to have a slightly longer shelf life even if contaminated with rem-jet) or to use the proper ECN2. Some people report good results with C41, others don't so I probably just need to try and see if it works for me.:headbang:

I just had a quick google around, in £1 in 1975 is supposed to be the same as around £10 tooday. A 36 exp roll of colour slide film cost around £4 (£40 in today's money). Yesterday I bought a 36 exp roll of Fuji Provia 100F for £20.
When I finally came to my senses and stopped smoking 15 years ago, 20 B&H Gold were £5.80 as I recall. A quick check shows the price now as £14.90 in Asda and £15 in Morrison's, so I'd still back film price as being affordable compared with cigs. The processing and postage is a bummer though, so I guess that's why home processing might see a rise in popularity.

How will this affect brands like Fomapan and Kentmere, is it an industry wide rise?
Sorry if it is a daft question, just in the process of getting back into film, so completely out of touch!
Last films I bought were from Poundland in about 2004, just for a holiday compact.

I think Fomapan are discontinuing their 24 exposure film.

I think Fomapan are discontinuing their 24 exposure film.
I only use 36 (well, in the past that is all I used) and I am almost certainly going to use bulk, once I can find the most economical supply.

I only use 36 (well, in the past that is all I used) and I am almost certainly going to use bulk, once I can find the most economical supply.
I keep an eye out for short dated bulk rolls and stick them in the freezer as they take up so little space (keeping Mrs H happy). Currently have a bulk roll of Tri-X, Kentmere 400 and Eastman 5222 waiting to be shot. Not much help when shooting 120 though.

Like Andy, it's getting too rich for me these days and now I've found software that can one click give me the black & white look I'm after, I'm struggling to see me shooting film when my stock has gone. I've already sold quite a bit on eBay with more cameras I'm looking at parting ways with.

This thread is so depressing. Like others I have a decent supply of film at present but I probably won't buy any more film cameras to play with, may even sell a few of the 35mm Pentaxes.

Like others, I have a substantial stock of film which at my present shooting rate will last a rather long time.

When a time comes to replenish, the financial outlay will I suspect take its toll on my resources.

I noticed last time I obtained darkroom consumables that the costs were beginning to stretch my budget.

That said , the idea of seperating myself from film photography is not forecast.

For many, both film and digi mediums are options that they use alongside each other so may I suggest some deep consideration before selling out on film .

By sharing exposures over the two mediums , even if a lesser percentage is on film, has to be a more favourable outlook rather than ditching film altogether.

I dunno, I’m just waffling but it would be such a shame to see filmies abandon what they enjoy , even more so when they have proven abilities to produce some superb results from it.

Brilliant post @Asha and I agree wholeheartedly

I just had a quick google around, in £1 in 1975 is supposed to be the same as around £10 tooday. A 36 exp roll of colour slide film cost around £4 (£40 in today's money). Yesterday I bought a 36 exp roll of Fuji Provia 100F for £20.
According to the Bank of England Inflation Calculator it is £7.11 For £1 from 1975

I keep an eye out for short dated bulk rolls and stick them in the freezer as they take up so little space (keeping Mrs H happy). Currently have a bulk roll of Tri-X, Kentmere 400 and Eastman 5222 waiting to be shot. Not much help when shooting 120 though.

Like Andy, it's getting too rich for me these days and now I've found software that can one click give me the black & white look I'm after, I'm struggling to see me shooting film when my stock has gone. I've already sold quite a bit on eBay with more cameras I'm looking at parting ways with.
Doing just the opposite, been buying on ebay

This is what I have already extracted from the loft except the Zorki which I use sometimes, 35s.jpg and I have more rangefinders in the loft.

I was feeling good until I read this thread.
I will look for short dated bulk, but apart from ebay, I haven't found anything, but I do have time, I bought some 400X36 films, and they will last a while.

I was feeling good until I read this thread.
I wouldn't!
They will keep making it as long as there is demand. I would think the only people who may need to start thinking in a couple of years are those who bought up all the Mamiya 7s and Mju IIs to try and make a quick buck. People grossly over estimate what their film gear is worth (based on what they paid for it) - many in this forum included
I just sold all my Pentax 67 gear and made the mistake of overpaying in excitement and impulse buys with grand dreams of being a world class landscape photographer. Now I've come back down to earth, I've limited myself to digital and one large format camera ( still too many lenses though for how much I use it!)

Thanks, I didn't get that site in my search. Still makes film cheaper (relatively) today than back then though.
Yes, it is often interesting seeing how relative prices have changed against our perceptions.

Thanks, I didn't get that site in my search. Still makes film cheaper (relatively) today than back then though.
Many ways to slice it depending which date you pick

using the bank of Englands inflation calculator and this Argos catalogue from 2000 where slide film was £15 for a 2 pack today it would be £13 ish so its actually more expensive which follows what I've read that it was artificially cheap back in the day and money was made on other goods and services

And its always fun to look through old argos - i had no idea instax was 23 years old +!

Its even worse for the Superia - £3 a roll multipack back then should be a fiver now!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't leave us hanging that......................
He might mean Dehancer. Simon Burn has talked about it a lot lately. Gives a cinematic look, as photographers like to say.

Well this thread has prompted me to stock up on Kentmere in 120 and 35mm from Morco at current pre-rise prices. I've already got plenty of other b&w stock. The limited amount of colour film I have will be rationed - I can't see me buying any more of that unfortunately.

Actually that's a good point, I might stock up on 4x5, I have loads of 35mm and a good amount of 120...

You can't leave us hanging that......................
I made a post about it here but it didn't get any discussion... I guess it was in the wrong forum really..

Like others, I have a substantial stock of film which at my present shooting rate will last a rather long time.

When a time comes to replenish, the financial outlay will I suspect take its toll on my resources.

I noticed last time I obtained darkroom consumables that the costs were beginning to stretch my budget.

That said , the idea of seperating myself from film photography is not forecast.

For many, both film and digi mediums are options that they use alongside each other so may I suggest some deep consideration before selling out on film .

By sharing exposures over the two mediums , even if a lesser percentage is on film, has to be a more favourable outlook rather than ditching film altogether.

I dunno, I’m just waffling but it would be such a shame to see filmies abandon what they enjoy , even more so when they have proven abilities to produce some superb results from it.

I agree. I'm not about to abandon my film cameras anytime soon. If nothing else I can fondle them lovingly and listen to the click of the shutter. Even if I do have far too many of them.

Back