Film recommendations

S

stupar

Having shot my first roll of film I've come to realise that Fuji Superia 200 exhibits strong saturated colours (great for landscapes but not so for portraits)

I would like to try a film where the colours are more muted and will benefit portraits more. What would you guys recommend?

I would definitely give Portra 400 a go, it's a very popular film and has lovely pastel tones which work perfectly with portraits. The 800 is meant to be superb as well but I've not used it as it's very pricey.

I'd like to bet that the concensus will be Kodak Portra.

I would definitely give Portra 400 a go, it's a very popular film and has lovely pastel tones which work perfectly with portraits. The 800 is meant to be superb as well but I've not used it as it's very pricey.

Portra all the way!

Kodak Portra it is then! I'm away to find the best place to buy it from unless anyone wants to recommend that too and save me some time ;)

I wouldn't say the Portra films are less saturated than any others, they just have a different colour balance and set of response curves (affecting the contrast). I've got landscapes shot on Portra which are incredibly saturated, and all sorts of photos taken with Agfa Vista 200 (Superia) which have very subtle, low saturation characteristics. A lot depends on the light and the way the negative is scanned and printed.

Having said all that, caucasian skin tones look natural on Portra because it doesn't over-emphasise the yellow and red...unlike Ektar which can sometimes make skin look too pink.

I wouldn't say the Portra films are less saturated than any others, they just have a different colour balance and set of response curves (affecting the contrast). I've got landscapes shot on Portra which are incredibly saturated, and all sorts of photos taken with Agfa Vista 200 (Superia) which have very subtle, low saturation characteristics. A lot depends on the light and the way the negative is scanned and printed.

Having said all that, caucasian skin tones look natural on Portra because it doesn't over-emphasise the yellow and red...unlike Ektar which can sometimes make skin look too pink.

For example, this is Portra 160.

30905979502_0162848542_c.jpg

Kodak Portra it is then! I'm away to find the best place to buy it from unless anyone wants to recommend that too and save me some time ;)

Last time I checked, Calumet was cheapest for portra 160, and only pennies more than AG for Portra 400. If you buy more than £50 worth, delivery from Calumet is free, plus it's free to click and collect if you have a store nearby.

There seems to be a progressive rip off with Portra 160 and Ektar as in Feb this year, 120 was about £20 for 5 pack with free del from 7dayshop as I bought a pack of each.

Last time I checked, Calumet was cheapest for portra 160, and only pennies more than AG for Portra 400. If you buy more than £50 worth, delivery from Calumet is free, plus it's free to click and collect if you have a store nearby.

Since you last checked, Calumet merged with Wex Photographic and Calumet's website is no more.

Since you last checked, Calumet merged with Wex Photographic and Calumet's website is no more.

D'oh! I sort of knew this but obviously the fact had not percolated quite far enough into my brain! Wex don't seem to be listing Portra 400 in 135 at the moment, but they have Portra 160 for only slightly more than Calumet were charging (£35 for 5), and also appear to offer free delivery over £50.

I'll have to re-check all my prices now. :(

Drat. I've got a £10 gift voucher for calumet. What are the odds of that being accepted...

Back