Filming a band playing cover versions Copyright Question?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, simple question. If I’m filming a concert (with permission) and they play a cover song, where do I stand with copyright if I put this video on YouTube?

thanks.

OP
OP
gremlin16
Edit My Images
Yes
simple answer . you should be ok (most other people attending will), but if you are doing the video for the band payed or unpaid , you should get permission to put the video out on social media
it’s more to do with the copyright of the original material. So the band can play cover songs, but if I broadcast it on YouTube, I’m guessing I’m not covered by the original artist.

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
it’s more to do with the copyright of the original material. So the band can play cover songs, but if I broadcast it on YouTube, I’m guessing I’m not covered by the original artist.

More not licensed by the copyright holder of the lyrics and music for public broadcast than by the original artist.

A recording by the original artist would have its own copyright as well as the above, as would the group that you are filming.

Edit My Images
No
OP
OP
gremlin16
Edit My Images
Yes
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I have put lots of my friends bands videos up without problems - they play covers under the venues licensing I believe, and there are thousands if not millions of videos around on Youtube and Facebook etc you only have to look at everybody and their pet dog filming with their phones these days

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
I post videos of a choir, and 30-40% of them are flagged as copyright material, and then monetised. You don't get any problems on your account. I don't really understand the actual legal position, there's a lot of complexity around music venue licensing, arrangements, paying for the original license for the music etc. with choirs, and I can't shake the feeling it's not really a legitimate claim by the original license holder, but it works most of the time.

Every now and then, the license holder won't own the music in one country and your video won't play in that country or will play without audio (for example, Germany).

I don't know how it works for bands or artists posting their own specific performances of cover versions who many have purchased a license to perform and record thesmelves, but the above is what happens when I post videos of concerts.

Last edited:
Edit My Images
No
Hi, simple question. If I’m filming a concert (with permission) and they play a cover song, where do I stand with copyright if I put this video on YouTube?

thanks.
Are you familiar with the phrase If in doubt, don't do it ?

If it becomes a struggle for you to find out where you stand on the copyright, if you struggle with trying to find answers, if you haven't found any clear answers. Maybe it would be a lot easier if you just don't bother with it, just don't post it online, or post the band doing their own songs instead of cover versions?