Filming a band playing cover versions Copyright Question?

simple answer . you should be ok (most other people attending will), but if you are doing the video for the band payed or unpaid , you should get permission to put the video out on social media

simple answer . you should be ok (most other people attending will), but if you are doing the video for the band payed or unpaid , you should get permission to put the video out on social media

it’s more to do with the copyright of the original material. So the band can play cover songs, but if I broadcast it on YouTube, I’m guessing I’m not covered by the original artist.

if you look on youtube for cover versions there are millions of them, I come across them all the time, and some are really old, don't see the problem at all.
Don't think Alice Cooper would go after these although they did kill it a bit :)
View: https://youtu.be/Pwf5NBe-qqU

it’s more to do with the copyright of the original material. So the band can play cover songs, but if I broadcast it on YouTube, I’m guessing I’m not covered by the original artist.

More not licensed by the copyright holder of the lyrics and music for public broadcast than by the original artist.

A recording by the original artist would have its own copyright as well as the above, as would the group that you are filming.

I post videos of a choir, and 30-40% of them are flagged as copyright material, and then monetised. You don't get any problems on your account. I don't really understand the actual legal position, there's a lot of complexity around music venue licensing, arrangements, paying for the original license for the music etc. with choirs, and I can't shake the feeling it's not really a legitimate claim by the original license holder, but it works most of the time.

Every now and then, the license holder won't own the music in one country and your video won't play in that country or will play without audio (for example, Germany).

I don't know how it works for bands or artists posting their own specific performances of cover versions who many have purchased a license to perform and record thesmelves, but the above is what happens when I post videos of concerts.

Last edited:
You see this when it's 'okay'

1582931518438.png

and I've got one that had this (which means it's blocked unless I remove the audio)

1582931560958.png

The important bit both times is that YouTube clearly states 'this is not a copyright strike', i.e. doesn't count against your account.

Hi, simple question. If I’m filming a concert (with permission) and they play a cover song, where do I stand with copyright if I put this video on YouTube?

thanks.

Are you familiar with the phrase If in doubt, don't do it ?

If it becomes a struggle for you to find out where you stand on the copyright, if you struggle with trying to find answers, if you haven't found any clear answers. Maybe it would be a lot easier if you just don't bother with it, just don't post it online, or post the band doing their own songs instead of cover versions?

I've had this issue too, and we go for the option where the money goes to Sony. It doesn't seem fair as the sound is one part of the video and the events have licensed that to perform already. There needs to be a fairer way to split the value created.

It doesn't seem fair as the sound is one part of the video and the events have licensed that to perform already.

Presumably they have bought a licence for live performance, rather than recording and distribution?

That's how licences work. You pay according to the amount of use you want.

Presumably they have bought a licence for live performance, rather than recording and distribution?

That's how licences work. You pay according to the amount of use you want.

In some cases, the license is also for recording and distribution, TV and online. How does that get passed along within YouTube do you know? It's only just become important to me so trying to find out.

If it is genuinely licensed for R&D then there must be an option for that on YouTube somewhere.

Sounds like a lot of Google research is needed.

Back