Filming small objects with a Canon - lens selection help?

Name
Horst
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to film small objects from above with a Canon R5. I created a drawing of how much space I have to place the camera (see below).
The object size is about 150 mm and I want focus sharpness to extend across ~35 mm. Is this possible?
Can somebody help with possible lens options here?

wy4UClJ.png

You need a decent heavy tripod such as a manfrotto 055 X-PROB and pistol grip tripod head which extends sidways to go over the object and a remote shutter release preferably wireless to stop camera shake.
then you also need consider lighting the object and how to get the best on it.
Then your ready to go and get the sharpest photo irrespectve of lens used
Being a Nikon user i can't help much but I use the Nikon 90mm macro lens, Canon must have something similar

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply @realspeed!
Yes, the rig, remote triggering and everything is ready / planned. But I need the right lens, which produces sharp (the sharpest) images with the parameters outlined in the drawing (the rig is fixed).
Any Canon users out there who might be able to help?

Not a reply to your problem - I know nothing of Canon lenses - but the lens specifications always give the angle of view (presumably based on the diagonal) and closest distance.

Canon and third party producers have produced a variety of macro lenses, from 50mm to 180mm. I don't think you have enough room to use a conventional zoom lens - eg 70-200 as the minimum focus distance is higher than the 1.1m max you have.

Unless you use extension tubes which would lose your infinity focus but also shorten your closest focus (also has depth of field impacts) a macro lens with a flat(ter) plane of focus would be the way to go really though

What do you mean by ‘lens distance’?

You really should be looking at the distance from the sensor to the subject, any distance from a point in the lens will change based on the FL changes at macro distances.

I strongly suspect the question is simpler than you’ve made it.

If I understand correctly, you’ve got over a metre of shooting space to photograph an object 15cm wide,

Shouldn’t be too difficult at all.

I’ve just done a test and my 90mm macro makes the back of the camera less than half a metre from my desk when focussed on 15cm of tape measure.

Last edited:
Hello,
A 35mm (full frame) is 36x24mm. Your object is 150mm, I assume along the long axis. 150 divided by 36 (the long axis of full frame) is 4.166, More or less you seem to want a quarter life size reproduction from 1100mm away. As best as I can figure you would need a 150mm lens to do this, but I could be completely wrong. I cam to this conclusion using of of the tools provided by the excellent Cambridge in color website. I would suggest you check my thought process using their macro tools here:- https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/macro-lenses.htm#calculator-magnification

That being said a quick trip to your local camera shop with a tape measure and a 150mm square of paper might be a more practical solution especially as throey is all well and good but a lens focal length can change when focused away from infinity aka focus breathing,

More or less you seem to want a quarter life size reproduction from 1100mm away
From a max of 1100mm

So if 150mm will do it at 1100mm, then a shorter focal length will be well within, So a 50mm to105mm macro will comfortably do the job.

Back