Beginner Filter not fitting my lens.

Name
Conan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone, I bought a filter online for my Nikon 18-55 f 3.5-5.6G VR as I lost the lens cap, and thought a filter will save me taking it on and off all the time.

However, it turned up today, it says it is a 52MM filter but when I try to put it on, it fits inside but doesn't screw in, and there is wiggle room from side to side.

I checked before buying and it said this was the correct size for my lens, so is there something I am missing on how to fit the filter, or have I been sent or bought the wrong size?

Thanks for your help.

If you look at the end of the lens it should give a filter size. The Nikon 18-55 f 3.5-5.6G VR is 55mm and the Nikon 18-55 f 3.5-5.6G VRII is 52mm so I suspect thats where the confusion has arisen :)

If you look at the end of the lens it should give a filter size. The Nikon 18-55 f 3.5-5.6G VR is 55mm and the Nikon 18-55 f 3.5-5.6G VRII is 52mm so I suspect thats where the confusion has arisen :)
Ahh balls, it is 55! Thats strange though, I have the D3500 which I would of expected to be the newer version so smaller.

Hopefully the seller will be understanding of my mistake.

Blimey, I think you have a long way to go to become a photography enthusiast... most of us would use that as a perfectly valid reason to buy an additional new lens that the filter will fit! ;) :giggle:
Yeah thats the spirit

Blimey, I think you have a long way to go to become a photography enthusiast... most of us would use that as a perfectly valid reason to buy an additional new lens that the filter will fit! ;) :giggle:
Sadly Mr Badger your right... In fact I'd probably buy two 52mm lens so I have a spare.... (in case I find another 52mm filter)... :D

I've got a Hoya 55mm UV filter in the for sale section if you are still looking.

If you look at the underside of the lens, there is a symbol that looks like a 0 with a stroke through it, followed by a number. That number is the diameter of the lens.

If you look at the underside of the lens, there is a symbol that looks like a 0 with a stroke through it, followed by a number. That number is the diameter of the lens.
There is that symbol, I Never checked and wasn't aware this was the diameter of the thread.

At least I now know for the future, I just ordered the lens without realising there were 2 different ones with different sizes.

Back