Filter Query Problems - Canon

Name
Kaylee Logan
Edit My Images
No
Hi

I am new here but I am having a technical nightmare.

I am trying to buy a filter at 77mm (what is this called where the mm number is on the lens cap)? to fit on a 67mm lens.

I don't know if I need a step up or step down ring for this filter - 77mm to 67mm

Also I am looking at 2 other filters of 49mm and 58mm but I don't have any lenses that say that size on them so what am I looking for?

My kit lens is a zoom lens even though I have a cropped frame camera - Canon EOS 7D Mk2

Can you help me? I have been doing photography a while but I still need help on some things.

Thanks

Kaylee

You need a step up rings as you are going up from 67mm on the lens to 77mm on the filter.

The other filters will need step down rings from the 67mm of the lens to the filter size. However stepping down that much might cause vignetting at certain focal lengths.
Its usually better to buy a bigger filter and step up from the lens than a smaller one and step down

Last edited:
Can you post the full name of your lens or lenses, as printed on the barrel?

Step-up rings will allow you to use bigger filters, and if you buy multiple rings perhaps use the same filter on several lenses. Is this why you want to buy a larger filter rather than the correct size? Step-down rings (smaller filters on a bigger lens) are often a bad idea as they can cause vignetting unless the difference in size is very small.

Last edited:
Back