Beginner Filter size help please

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all

Going to have a play with cpl and nd filters, just want to confirm something.

I assume I need to buy for my biggest lens and then get step down rings ?

Or can I buy any size to fit one of the sizes and use up/down rings ?

Just wondering if I use a small cpl/nd and use step ups, will it show as I’m technically makings the lens edge smaller ? ( as in buy 62mm or what ever and use step ups to my 72mm)

Cheers

I was in the same boat a few years ago, & was advised to buy filters to fit the biggest diameter lens that I've got, & step up rings to fit my smaller diameter lenses. Apparently, there's a risk of vignetting if you go from small/large.

If you buy smaller it will show on your images as in vignetting also if you are looking at the likes of the Lee system even though the mount may be 77 MM etc, there are often two versions, one for wider angle lenses to prevent it showing ( the more expensive one unfortunately ) so be aware, it's often better to buy the wide version as it works in both circumstances.

Cpl or polarisers, there are two versions, make sure you buy the right one, ( again the more expensive one ) is the one for digital cameras, the other won't work as its a none digital version.

If you buy smaller it will show on your images as in vignetting also if you are looking at the likes of the Lee system even though the mount may be 77 MM etc, there are often two versions, one for wider angle lenses to prevent it showing ( the more expensive one unfortunately ) so be aware, it's often better to buy the wide version as it works in both circumstances.

Cpl or polarisers, there are two versions, make sure you buy the right one, ( again the more expensive one ) is the one for digital cameras, the other won't work as its a none digital version.

Thanks for the reply, I didn’t realise there was to different types?

I’m not looking at expensive Lee type filters just some reasonable screw in types to play around with, any suggestions ?

Mine are not for sale, I use them. :)

Google Lee polarisers, I realise you are not going down that route, but they have some excellent guides on you tube etc

Last edited:
Mine are not for sale, I use them. :)

Google Lee polarisers, I realise you are not going down that route, but they have some excellent guides on you tube etc

Lol sorry misunderstood you, cheers I’ll have a look

A CPL is a "Circular-PoLariser", as opposed to a normal, or linear polariser, yes, there are two types of polariser, but only one type of CPL... at least as far as the polariser goes.

Possible to use a linear poilariser on a Digital camera, or a circular polariser on a manual focus film camera. they aren't exclusive.

The CPL isn't a 'digital' polariser, or a polariser for digital cameras; it came into popular use in the '90's with the advent of Auto-Focus, where liniar polarisers could effect the operation of the AF system; hence carried over into the Digital-Era where most digital SLR's are AF.

In either instance, it's worth noting that the filter is attached to the front of the lens, and the polarising effect changes with the rotation of the filter; if AF lenses rotate the front element as they focus the focus can change the polariser orientation hence effect, as you press the shutter-release, or adjusting polariser orientation, you may adjust focus.

I assume I need to buy for my biggest lens and then get step down rings ?
That would be the more sensible advice, yes. And for any filter, not just a polariser.

Using step-up rings, you risk the smaller filter-ring vignetting, or masking, the corners and edges of the frame.

But this is not confined to 'just' the filter-thread diameter; if you 'stack' filters then the distance away from the front element can also result in them encroaching into the frame area.

'Slot-System' filter holders can also do this on some lenses, and or if stacked with screw-fits, to push the front ahead of the front lens element. Take heed if you have a UV or skylight on the front as a 'protection' filter before you begin, adding more.

Pay heed also. if using step-down rings, particularly if using a number of them to step-down each thread size; each step-down ring effectively adds a filter thickness to the protrusion in-front of the front element; if you have to step-down from say 77mm thread diameter to 49mm thread diameter, that could be a lot of step-down rings.

The ideal is to pick a filter for the size of lens you expect to most use it on. Given modern vogue for zoom lenses, it is not like of old, when you might have wanted to use one filter, on, well using my old M42 'Prime' outfit as example, 29mm, 50mm, 135mm & 300mm, and quite possibly two or three in between. On my Digital Outfit, I have two CPL's one for the 18-55 and one for the 55-300. Saves any faff with step-=down rings, or even swapping the filter twixt lenses. And the filters are, comparatively cheap enough these days, that the small difference between buying a second filter and a set of adapter rings is pretty negligible.

I only use polarisers and have several - one for each diameter lens I have (or had!). While it's possible (and considerably cheaper) to have just one to fit the largest diameter and use step down rings, this means that you can't use lens hoods on the smaller diameter lenses.

I only use polarisers and have several - one for each diameter lens I have (or had!). While it's possible (and considerably cheaper) to have just one to fit the largest diameter and use step down rings, this means that you can't use lens hoods on the smaller diameter lenses.

Point taken on the hood, never thought of that, thanks

Not the cheap option but filters add to the problem of flare and a hood is the best way to reduce the flare.

If only there was an easy way to add flair!!!

Back