Filters: Hoya to Hoya Pro to B&W, what does the extra cost buy you?

Edit My Images
Yes
As per the title.
I'm looking at 77mm circular polarising filters. Quite clearly there's a lot of options out there. I'm not really that interested in a filter system, a screw on filter would be fine.
So, assuming I can buy a standard Hoya for say £30, a Hoya Pro is roughly double that, and a B&W costs even more. Can anyone comment on how much better the more expensive filters are?

You pay extra for glass over acrylic (well worth it) and you pay extra for multi-coating (well worth it), you pay extra for slim-line mounts that do not vignette on super-wide lenses, and you certainly pay extra for some filters made in expensive countries like Germany or the US.

If in doubt, buy a top of the range Hoya. Nine times out of ten it will be the best you can get at any price.

coldpenguin,

That link is for UV filters .... for CP, there is an issue with them being very hard to clean. Hoya are notorious for this; the B+W and Heliopan are a lot better, in my opinion.

An added factor to think about, when buying CP filters, is to note that they are in effect two filters screwed onto each other. The sealing between these two is very critical, as the last thing you'd want to experience is condensation forming in between them.

Again, B+W and Heliopan (both have the Kaseman range) range are a lot more expensive .. but are far better sealed than most of the other brands.

Sorry should have read the OP more thoroughly. It would be great to have a similar test done for PL filters, but I think the variables are just too great.

I only have linear polarizers filters, they are a single piece of glass, if you are worried about condensation.

However, there are possibilities that linear polarizers will effect focusing.

Better quality glass, guaranteed to be flatter so less distortion plus less inclusions and defects. More coatings, which will give better light transmission for a given rating. More neutral coating colour cast, which doesn't throw the colour balance out of whack. Less reflectivity and ghosting. Generally thinner, so produce less vignetting (as already mentioned). Less likely to fall apart when the circlip comes pinging out of the retention groove. More accurately and smoothly cut threads less likely to 'weld' themselves to your lens. Smoother rotational operation. If you have a cheapo lens anyway, there's probably not much point in paying for the best, but if you have pro spec glass, you really want something that's not going to degrade its effectiveness for the sake of saving £40.

Basically the extra cost buys you quality. Not just with Hoya. Personally I rate Heliopan, B+W and the top end Hoya's about equal in quality. The Hoya (if I remember correctly) has slightly better light transmission, The Heliopan and B+W both use top quality schott glass and usually brass mounts. And I'd guess all three are available in kasemann versions if you need sealed edges for wet/humid conditions.

The only advice I'd give is that if you're going to use a filter, get the best you can afford. Of course, as in everything, not everyone will agree.

cheers

Forgot to mention, new top of range Hoya CPL filter (expensive) has higher light transmission than most other polarisers - just over 1 stop. Most others are nearly two stops.

Forgot to mention, new top of range Hoya CPL filter (expensive) has higher light transmission than most other polarisers - just over 1 stop. Most others are nearly two stops.

Thats both an advantage and a dis-advantage, depending on what you are shooting.

Personally when using a C-Pol for water blur the 2-stop light loss is definately useful, and in many cases saves me having to stack an ND filter on top.

With a 1 stop, I'd almost certainly always need to use an ND stacked.

I'm watching this thread with interest as I have noticed that my cheap CP filter is awful on the D700 even though it was OK on my crop sensor body. Has anybody spotted a well priced B&W or Hoya Pro?

Back