Filters

[S2]MONEYBAGS[/S2]:LOL: Have you had any custom stuff done by Lee before, they're pretty pricey, due to the amount ofwork involved, but worth it.

[S2]MONEYBAGS[/S2]:LOL:

:LOL: I wish. The thing is, Im probably going to go with a Lee system, as I only want to buy once, and not have to upgrade in the future. And unfortunately, Lee don't make an equivalent of my B&W 10Stop ND I use at the moment. And even that I don't find quite dense enough. Although a lot of money, I don't think £80 for a custom filter is too unreasonable.

Have you had any custom stuff done by Lee before, they're pretty pricey, due to the amount ofwork involved, but worth it.

No I haven't. Ive never used a Lee, or any other square filter system before, but I know I would miss my ND10. Have you had custom Lee stuff then? If so, what did you get, and what was the quality etc like?

No I haven't. Ive never used a Lee, or any other square filter system before, but I know I would miss my ND10. Have you had custom Lee stuff then? If so, what did you get, and what was the quality etc like?
No but my company manufacture a few things for them.
If you are going for the 100mm system, give me a week or so and ill see if i can knock you up something if you want. (free of course).
Dean:)

No but my company manufacture a few things for them.
If you are going for the 100mm system, give me a week or so and ill see if i can knock you up something if you want. (free of course).
Dean:)

I would be extremely gratefull for that Dino F. Thanks for the offer. Im definately getting a 100mm system (Probably ordering this coming Tuesday) and im most likely getting a Lee system with a wide angle adapter + a ND grad filter. So if you could see about knocking something together it would be perfect.(y) If a high density square filter works, it would be perfect for what I do, im just concerned about it 'fogging' due to light bleed, which is why I was toying wit hte idea of getting one custom dipped. Spending all that money on a filter for it not to work would be a great shame. If you manage to make something, id be more than happy to throw some money your way to cover postage + your time and effort etc.:) Ideally im after a 10Stop ND.

Just taken this @ 12mm with the normal Cokin P holder (again on the 350D)
cokinp12ak9.jpg

As you can see there is a bit of vignetting (top left and bottom right), this is the max I could get, by putting the holder at about 45 degrees.

Hmm

Taken at 17mm on the 17-55 2.8 on Canon 30D and the vignetting is very apparent. :(

_MG_5317.jpg

Ive read this thread with interest ... but still not got around to sorting out any ND Grads.
Id be interested to hear whether anyone has used the above mentioned B+W screw-on, as until now Id never heard of them.
Oh! and if screw-ons are poo-poohed would someone mind explaining why.
Ta!

The main reason why a screw in one would be as you so eloquently put 'poo-poohed':LOL: is because you can't adjust where they graduate. The middle of the graduation is likely to be in the middle of the filter. But what if your sky/ground horizon line isn't in the middle of your shot, its at the bottom instead. Persoanlly I don't think they'd be too bad as they would always darken the sky to some extent, but they would be far from flexible.

Thanks MK ... unfortunately that makes perfect sense!
There's just absolutely never a 'one size fits all' in photography is there!

So I guess it's back to Lee or Cokin, Cokin or Lee ... arrghh!!! :bang:

Following this subject with interest,I'am waiting for an NDX8 and an NDX4 to arrive,begining to regret my decision in favour of the Lee system,I was quoted £220 delivered for the foundation kit a 77mm adapter ring and 3 soft ND filters,from R.Wyhte,does anyone know of anywhere doing them cheaper?thanks in advance

John :)

Back