Beginner Filters

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
sorry for the newbie question but I have a wide angle lens and also a UV filter and a CPL filter should I be taking the UV filter off when I want to use the CPL filter or Leave it on for better filtration of light?

As Elliott says above, take off, leave off. Why buy a lens with glass that cost a lot of money and put glass on that cost (in most cases) a few quid?
Russ

sorry for the newbie question but I have a wide angle lens and also a UV filter and a CPL filter should I be taking the UV filter off when I want to use the CPL filter or Leave it on for better filtration of light?

Hi Dave

Take the UV filter off when using the CPL. Filter.

Unless you need the UV filter for extra protection of the front element, I'd leave the UV filter off all the time.

Don't use a UV filter in conjunction with a CPL.

UV filters are a hangover from film. DSLRs don't need them for UV protection and there are no situations where they'll improve your images.

Using a UV or plain glass filter for physical protection is controversial and there are many debates about this on the threads, if you want to search for them. I've been involved in photography for over 40 years and I've always used a lens hood but, as a rule, I don't use protection filters and I haven't damaged a lens yet. I do, occasionally, use one in poor conditions if there's flying dust/debris/spume; if I remember to take one with me.

If you do decide to use a protection filter, make sure it's a good one. These tend to be expensive, but putting a cheap filter in front of your lens is likely to introduce softness and flare.

thanks very much for all the advice so the salesman in the camera shop had me over well I live and learn and I wont say it'll not happen again but will gain further advice before I take the word of a camera salesman

how will I know if my CPL filter is a good one? ie is it always the case that the more expensive ones are always the best or is there a specific brand I should be looking for as I am currently in the market for a 77mm CPL filter and the prices change dramatically depending on the brand also I have 49mm and 55mm thread lenses would I be best getting stepup rings so that I can use my 77mm filter as that seems to be the cheapest way since stepup rings are a lot cheaper than CPL filters or would I lose quality of pictures since going from 49mm to 77mm would require me using 7 stepup rings

Last edited:
Step ups won't effect the image but that's a big step up and it might make your set up a bit difficult to handle, I carry 2 CPL filters that cover me for 4 different thread sizes (with step ups).

You said that you are using a wide angle lens, how wide? you might get an unwanted vignette using a filter on a wide angle, try this out at home to avoid nasty surprises! Also, some people say that using a polariser on a wide angle is a bad idea because you get so much sky in he pic. Worth a thought.

Back