Beginner filters

Name
Ron
Edit My Images
No
new to the digital world, I just bought a Nikon d5600 (kit pkg). I want to take some landscape photos in b&w and in cooler but I would like to use some filters to give it some effects. I would appreciate someone's opinion on what to buy.

First, :welcome:… whatever your name is! :)

Second, I would not invest any money on filters but on a
real proper RAW converter.

Unlike film, filters in digital are best used in post processing.

The 2 effects that can’t be reproduced better in processing are a polariser and neutral density filter.

The only filter you will need and then not very often ,is a circular polarizing filter-it is the only one which cannot be replicated with software.
Before you get one read up on what it is for and if you buy one do not buy cheap, but like Kodiak says a good raw converter will be more value than a filter

… a circular polarizing filter-it is the only one which cannot be replicated with software.

:agree:
Yes, that is correct… though the graduated and non graduated filters
may be most useful in capturing extended DR, they are not absolutely
necessary other wise than tweak the aperture at SR.

I haven't used filters for years and indeed the last ones I used regularly were ND's to bring the shutter speed down when using wide apertures in good light but since I got cameras with higher max shutter speeds even the ND's have been left in the drawer, so I may not be the best to give advice but I'm going to give it anyway... :D...

Take a look at some free software... Nik Filters. I hope they're still free. Googling will get you there.

If you simply must try real mount on the lens filters I'd advice buying some cheaper ones first rather than jumping in with the big name high quality ones just to see if you really do see an advantage and want to use them. My guess is that some people buy into filters and then decide that they don't really have all that much use for them. I have some reasonably priced Cokin filters and holders and I've found them adequate, Kood and others do some reasonably priced ones too.

For landscapes....... In my opinion & in order of importance/usefulness.

CPL
ND solid filters
ND Graduated filters.

Personally, I have & use all three. Many others don't want to or need to use any filters. Have a good search around & read up about them all & decide if you might want them.

On-a-budget Screw filters - Haida, Hoya....
....Square filters - Hitech, Cokin....

Of course, there are always people selling used too.

I only have one filter which is a Polaroid UV filter so I can't comment on filters that alter the image sorry. It wasn't expensive and it doesn't harm the final image. I only use it in situations where things might get on the lens so not very often :)

Back