Finally a great result!

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd share this one of the Mrs from when we were on holiday, not because of anything outstanding about the composition (rainwater pipe coming out of her head) nor does she look her best (her words not mine! We'd just returned from a bike ride in 28 degree heat...) but because it is from the fourth roll of film that I've ever shot and up till now haven't had any results where the image quality feels really good, it's just been a bit of fun to play with alongside my digital stuff. This however was a very pleasant surprise when I looked at it after receiving the scans from filmdev yesterday. I think I nailed the focus which is one of the biggest challenges coming from using digital all the time and getting used to the little quirks of focusing using the microprism and lens combo.

I have many 'better' photos from my 6D from the holiday, but I made my first print from a film shot of this one yesterday evening at home, and there is something special about the fact that this came from a film camera! By no means would film replace digital for me personally, but it has absolutely found a place in my photography from now on.

Maybe this doesn't need it's own thread, but I'd like to thank Ken again for gifting this camera to me, and thanks to all you lot for your help with various things, most of which was indirectly found by me browsing this sub-forum.

(y) :D

Canon Ae-1 Program, 50mm f1.8 lens shot at f2.8 (from memory) on Agfa Vista 200 - with a slight reduction of orange in lightroom.

by Craigus89, on Flickr

Last edited:
I think that's a great shot.

i found some old shots of the kids that I took with a film camera some years ago and there is something about them that makes them stand out more than all the digital ones I've taken.

An excellent result, now you just need to see how good the results are using medium format. . Welcome to the slippery slope.

An excellent result, now you just need to see how good the results are using medium format. . Welcome to the slippery slope.

I have been considering it, just need to find some time to figure out the best route for me to have a dabble at limited expense.

:banana:

Get a 645 to dip your toe in.

You won't stop there though.
Especially as you can get an AF version that takes an optional digital back :)
Matt

I have been considering it, just need to find some time to figure out the best route for me to have a dabble at limited expense.

:banana:

Completely and utterly manual but have a look at the Ross Ensigns, 1620 is 6 X 4.5, 1220 is 6 X 6 and the 820 is 6 X 9. They all have superb lenses and can be picked up cheaply, the 1620 can be had for £40 ish in very good condition.

Ross Ensign Selfix that is, it's a while since I bought that Ensign Selfix 820 off him so he's probably had a sleep since then and forgotten the full name. ;)

Joking aside, the ones with the Ross Expres lens are capable of producing very nice results, but I've had a couple (not the one I bought from Andy, which was fine and sharp as a pin) that have needed the lens focus resetting. An eBay or Google search for Ensign Selfix 820, 1620 or 1220 should find a few, but make sure they are described as full working order and have a good, clear, fungus and haze free lens. http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Ensign_Selfix_8-20

Another contender might be the Voigtlander Perkeo I http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Voigtländer_Perkeo_I a nice, small, 'coat pocket sized' 6x6 folding camera that usually gives nice results. Then there's Twin Lens Reflex cameras, which start at the bargain basement priced Lubitel II and 166B, which can be had for about £20 - £30 in full working order. Yashica TLRs such as the Yashica D, the 635 and the Yashicamat 124G give you better image quality and raise the game for reasonable money and a range of prices depending on model. As usual, condition and working order are everything! Happy hunting.

Oh, and bear in mind that some of these vintage medium format cameras have foibles when operating them, such as damage occurring to the shutter if the speeds are changed after (or sometimes before!) the shutter is cocked, or jamming the shutter mechanism by using the self-timer when the flash sync lever is set to M instead of X (not that I'd recommend using the self timer on a vintage camera unless the shutter mechanism has recently been fully serviced, as that in itself can result in the mechanism jamming due to grime and time-hardened grease/oil). So make sure you get hold of the relevant instruction manual for the camera and read it (and any info on the internet) carefully before you try to use a 'vintage' camera. (y)

Nice shot from the AE1 Programme too, keep up the good work! If you want to see just how good, sharp and detailed the photos can be then maybe try some Kodak Ektar 100 in it while it's still bright enough before autumn/winter starts. :)

Last edited:
Great shot, there's just something about the way film captures light that is unmatched for me.

Back