Finally it arrived

dod

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ebenezer McScrooge III
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been waiting for my 100-400 for about two weeks now but today the postie finally arrived. :D

First impressions? This thing is heavy, not too heavy, just heavy.

Focussing seems slowish compared with the 70-200 F4 but that's only been in low light, need to try it tomorrow to see what it's really like.

The push/pull zooming is fine. I remember the old sigma 70-300's they were the same and I never thought of it as a problem.

The IS is something else, first time I've had a lens with this feature and hand holding down to 1/60th at 400mm gives acceptable results :)

Edit: oh, and the adjustable tensioner for the zoom is a great idea, I can see that being used regularly for the stuff I do.

If you hadn't guessed, I'm a happy bunny :woot:

Dod, I'm with you all the way here.

1. It's heavy but manageable.
2. Focusing is slower than the 70-200f4. Less light due to f4.5-5.6.
3. Push/pull is fine for me too. On the down side you will have to clean the sensor more due to dust ingress.
4. IS is excellent, terrific, superb, worth every penny.
5. The adjustable tensioner stops lens creep. ( That's all I ask )

It's a great catch all telephoto zoom I wouldn't be without it.

You will not be disappointed. :thumb:

If you haven't guessed, I'm a happy bunny too :woot:

Cameron

dod said:
First impressions? This thing is heavy, not too heavy, just heavy.

Certainly is when you have been carrying it round an airshow all day :)

Wouldn't be without it now though.

Be interested to know if you think it increases the sensor cleaning needed once you have used it a bit. My experience is that the 'dust pump' name some have called it is true. Won't stop me using it though.

Think I saw you got it from Kerso as did I. Cost me £875 is he still charging the same?

I'll be paying him for a 580EX tomorrow. :banana:

RobertPThink I saw you got it from Kerso as did I. Cost me £875 is he still charging the same?[/QUOTE said:
Nope, the price is up apparently, just over £900 including a UV filter.

I can't understand why they cause dust on the sensor to be honest, I thought the mount end was sealed so there shouldn't be anywhere for the dust to escape to the camera body, but obviously I don't know yet. It will get it's first outing in anger on sunday so that might show it up then :)

I missed that particular gravy train :(

The guy that suggested Kerso to me paid £845 so there seems to be a trend :)

The trend probably follows the exchange rates......

I agree the dust thing does not make a lot of sense but it does seem to happen.

Joe T said:
Ive currently got my heart set on the Sigma 120-300 f2.8. Heavy, but absolutley cracking apparently.

Cheers Joe, I actually tried the 120-300 in Ffordes, they're just about 20 minutes from here, and it's absolutely superb. Weight wise I'd think a monopod would just about be essential. Unfortunately though it was outwith the budget I'd set so went with the Canon.

more than happy with the quality, first is just resized second is a 100% crop with no other processing at all. Taken at 400mm wide open.

IMG_5798.jpg

IMG_5798b.jpg

I couldn't be without my 100-400L lens. If there was a single lens that I had to pick it would be this :)

Nice one dod, I expect to see some more motocross shots now with the whites of their eyes showing.. :D

nice one. IS is definately a boon. I think i've been down to about 1 1/25th so far, but that was crouching with my elbow jammed into my crotch :eyeswatering smiley:

Looks like you got a good one. :thumb:

Congrats dod. The first time I really used my 100-400 I didn't have a battery grip. After about 3hrs of constant shooting with it my little finger was nearly snapped off. Close to the end of the day I couldn't lift the camera up to shoot :) I'm sure you're bike shoots will benefit from it. Have fun :D

busterboy said:
Nice one dod, I expect to see some more motocross shots now with the whites of their eyes showing.. :D

I'll see if I can get some showing fillings ;)

optech strap....£17 Marcel...

glad your enjoying your new toy Dod!

They're 16.99 in Jessops now :D The Optech Pro....But they didn't have any black ones in :(

Back