Finally picked up my first ever DSLR

Name
Julie
Edit My Images
Yes
Thank you for all of your help in advising me on a camera !
I've finally taken the plunge and picked up a Canon 700D with a 18-135mm lens today .........I was bought it for my birthday with a bag , sd card , uv lens cover thingy and I'm so excited - so bring on the nice weather lol

First of all, Happy Birthday and congrats on your new camera. I'm sure you'll love taking it out when the good weather gets back but there's plenty of stuff to shoot both in and out doors in the winter.

I hope you're very happy with it :D but remember that bad weather can provide some really good shooting opportunities too - just don't let you camera get too wet :puke: :D

Excellent choice. I'm soon to be selling my 600D but it's been a fantastic camera; I'm sure yours will be even better :)

Congrats on the nice camera as a birthday present, now start photographing all the people that are there for your birthday (y)

Congrats, enjoy your camera and ditch the uv thingy, it serves no purpose on a digital camera ;-)

The 700D is an excellent camera. Enjoy it.

I suggest you buy a lens hood, if you don't already have one. They prevent light striking the front element of the lens at an angle, causing flare and lack of contrast; and also protect the lens against accidental impacts. OEM Canon hoods are quite pricey, but there are plenty of third party alternatives if you want to save some money.

UV filters are a hangover from the film days, and serve no useful purpose on a digital camera. Some people use them as protection filters - you can also use a plain glass one for this - but it's controversial. There are quite a few threads about this on the forums if you use the search facility. The main criticisms are that they can introduce softness and flare, particularly shooting towards the light, and this is exacerbated by using budget filters. The good - expensive - ones are a bit less prone to this, but still won't do anything to improve your images. Do they actually protect the front of the lens? Maybe. I use one occaisonally, if I'm shooting in blowing dust or spume, but I always use a hood.

Congrats on getting a decent camera.

Interestingly, you do not need good weather to shoot with it, so take off the UV thing and return it and either use the camera inside or go out now :)

Congrats, enjoy your camera and ditch the uv thingy, it serves no purpose on a digital camera ;-)

You weren't at the stock cars last night then? Muppet.

I agree with Berliner, this seems to be a serious effort for the world record at derailing a thread into an argument that will never end, won't help the OP in the slightest, and where the discussion can be found on countless threads already.

Differing opinions maybe, albeit based on subjective assessment, but better to damage a UV filter glass costing a few quid, as opposed a lens costing hundreds or even thousands of pounds.

The Skylight 1A and 1B filters, are from the film days, and are not suitable for use with digital image sensors.

Whether or not UV filters provide any benefit, apart from physical protection, is the subject of much discussion. Albeit based mainly on subjective assessment, rather than laboratory produced conclusions.

Best to take an image with and without the UV filter in place, and make your own assessment. I don't think you will see any degradation in the image quality.

In the mean time, enjoy your new camera, it will reward you with some great results, and a lot of pleasure.

Dave

Back