B&W Finally picked up the camera again....

Name
Shaheed
Edit My Images
No
Not used the camera in months but got an urge today and unfortunately..........no models. Suffice to say I was left with the worst looking model I could find!!

Selfie by Sir SR, on Flickr

Just glad to be using it again........very rusty!!

Put the camera down and walk away...

I like it. Good range of tones. You look quite relaxed, trustworthy, open and honest. An ideal portrait for your website.
You would make a good model :)

Definitely the first one for me... and I agree with all that Kendo1 said...

Put the camera down and walk away...

I like it. Good range of tones. You look quite relaxed, trustworthy, open and honest. An ideal portrait for your website.
You would make a good model :)
Very kind.....not sure about the model a bit tall and round with a belly near the ground [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

Yeah, way too tall, you've chopped your head off! :D

In all honesty, for my liking it is a little too much of a head chop but it does have your signature style which can't be faulted really. Nice shot. 2nd is well $%&*"$£!?@ though. :D

Not sure what you described the second as.…?

To be honest I think I meant to go back and shoot it lower down but was shooting with my 70-200 and couldn't be faffed! I liked it as was but did think it might be a bit better with a tad more head in it!

I love the simplicity of these Shaheed, especially knowing the setup to achieve such. Good to see you back snapping, currently chomping at the bit myself through enforced layoff with an injury which is going to keep me away from the camera for 6 weeks or so.

I love the simplicity of these Shaheed, especially knowing the setup to achieve such. Good to see you back snapping, currently chomping at the bit myself through enforced layoff with an injury which is going to keep me away from the camera for 6 weeks or so.

Thanks!

Bizarrely, it was actually selling a bit of kit which made me get the camera out.....admittedly I ordered a strip box with the proceeds of the sale, but that has yet to arrive!

Felt good snapping again!

I ordered 2 new lenses a couple of days before my accident so can't even check out how they perform properly, happy days!

I ordered 2 new lenses a couple of days before my accident so can't even check out how they perform properly, happy days!

At considerable inconvenience to myself, I'd be happy to test them out for you - just pop them in the post [emoji1][emoji1][emoji1]

I've had the octa for a while and just fancied trying it out as a backdrop. The set up is within the same space as a bunk bed so just about achievable in a small space!

Lol but I will miss eye balling them on a daily basis with intent!

Next on my list is a new octa with grid. I have an octa Rotalux which is perfect for what you have achieved here but elinchrom haven't got a decent grid option available at sensible money.

Anyway I'm gate crashing your thread...

Lol but I will miss eye balling them on a daily basis with intent!

Next on my list is a new octa with grid. I have an octa Rotalux which is perfect for what you have achieved here but elinchrom haven't got a decent grid option available at sensible money.

Anyway I'm gate crashing your thread...

I'm using the Bessel soft boxes and beauty dish here, lencarta stands/lights and yongnuo triggers.

Bessel do have grids but not sure how "fit for purpose they are"

I actually have a bessel strip softbox but must admit to have being spoilt with the simplicity of the Rotalux in terms of making up and putting away. I was thinking of a lencarta octo, the quick erect version but could look at bessel again. How do you boom your beauty dish to the side?

That was with the excellent lencarta boom stand. Around 100 quid if I recall correctly.

It was put at the end of the bunk bed and angled in.

I had a lencarta soft box which wasn't the easy up version. Top quality though. Reinvested in a Bessel strip box and an easy up softbox. Quality of lencarta is definitely better but the Bessel is good enough in my hands!

I actually have a bessel strip softbox but must admit to have being spoilt with the simplicity of the Rotalux in terms of making up and putting away. I was thinking of a lencarta octo, the quick erect version but could look at bessel again. How do you boom your beauty dish to the side?

I'll take a pic when I get home as it's all still set up!!

Thanks. Just noticed the bessel octo is umbrella style and cheap as chips, got to be worth a punt for me.

I've just gone and ordered a 95cm octa and a rectangular too. Probably sell the rotalux which will fund them both. As an occasional home user, I'm sure they will be more than up to the job. What stand is that, I could do with booming to one side really.

Ha nicking the kids room for a studio. I've done the same thing and even painted a wall white. I like the first one the best but I'm afraid I'm with minnnt about the head crop. Good to see you back though. Your work always reminds me that a small space is no excuse for rubbish photos (y)

Ha nicking the kids room for a studio. I've done the same thing and even painted a wall white. I like the first one the best but I'm afraid I'm with minnnt about the head crop. Good to see you back though. Your work always reminds me that a small space is no excuse for rubbish photos (y)

Ha!! The kids are with the in laws so their room is free! We have building work so I can't use my usual space!

Regarding the head crop - it's something I often do, but agree it probably a bit too much here. I think had I have been shooting somebody else (rather than a selfie with a remote) I would have reviewed the screen and shot more of the head on a following shot.

I have to admire the way some of you guys manage to overcome the problem of space. Even though I can commandeer the entire dining room with no grief from my wife I still feel constricted, consequenly the only time I ever get to do portraiture is at the camera club. And that has proven restrictive as we get stuck with one light setting to be used by everybody and the models are invariably young women wearing too much makeup.

Rob

I have to admire the way some of you guys manage to overcome the problem of space. Even though I can commandeer the entire dining room with no grief from my wife I still feel constricted, consequenly the only time I ever get to do portraiture is at the camera club. And that has proven restrictive as we get stuck with one light setting to be used by everybody and the models are invariably young women wearing too much makeup.

Rob

At least you get to take pics of pretty women.....I have to settle for myself!!

Next issue is working out how to fit two strip boxes in!!

At least you get to take pics of pretty women.....I have to settle for myself!!

Next issue is working out how to fit two strip boxes in!!

Ah yes - but at least you get some sense from your model!!

1st one for me, really nice. I really like your style and really appreciate how you quite often show how you set up, really helpful!

Good to see you back Shaheed. Firstly apologies for taking this slightly off topic, but after seeing a comment of yours in another thread, I immediately remembered some of your earlier pics. Having re-visited a couple of your early threads, the transformation is amazing. I just wanted to give you credit for the hard work and dedication you have put into this and it has been a joy to see your style evolve.

Anyway enough smoke blowing. First shot for me too btw.

Good to see you back Shaheed. Firstly apologies for taking this slightly off topic, but after seeing a comment of yours in another thread, I immediately remembered some of your earlier pics. Having re-visited a couple of your early threads, the transformation is amazing. I just wanted to give you credit for the hard work and dedication you have put into this and it has been a joy to see your style evolve.

Anyway enough smoke blowing. First shot for me too btw.

Wow. That's really kind of you to say and I really do appreciate that.

I do occasionally look through my Flickr feed to see progression - I hope that I keep seeing evolution and progression in years to come!

It has been slow recently because of building works - my usual "bedroom wall studio" is temporarily out of action. I sold a soft box which made me get the lights out so I had a little play. Whetted my appetite again!! I think I need to shoot different people and I have a willing volunteer who likes to pose so hopefully will get to do more soon. Once building work is done in the house I hope to do a lot more!!

Thanks again

Shaheed

I'd have to agree with Chris.
I had a look back at your Flickr- back to your first uploads. The change in style and quality is quite dramatic, but you can see the beginning of your developing style.
It looks like you know what you are doing! :)
I particularly like the off-centre ones.

I'd have to agree with Chris.
I had a look back at your Flickr- back to your first uploads. The change in style and quality is quite dramatic, but you can see the beginning of your developing style.
It looks like you know what you are doing! :)
I particularly like the off-centre ones.

It's the main reason I don't delete pics from Flickr. It's great to look back. I remember getting good advice/crit from here which helped immensely in moving forward. For instance, next time I shoot I'll do the same shot twice (once with a head crop and once without) and it might develop further. Or I might get ketchup and fangs for the next "Dracula" shot [emoji6]

I wouldn't have developed as I have done without TP's crit section.

Back