Finder only shows RAF icon instead of thumbnail image

Name
Malc
Edit My Images
No
Just downloaded the very first raw images from my new Fuji X-H2 and although everything is showing correctly in Photo Mechanic, Finder only shows the RAF icon instead of the thumbnail image. Never a problem on previous cameras. Tried storing the raws on both the CF Express card, and the SD card and it is the same problem from both transfers. Using a card reader to transfer the images.
Can someone please tell me how I get Finder to show the raw images?
TIA

Are you using compression.

Lossless or otherwise?

Finder can only show you uncompressed RAFs (may be true for other brands too).

Of course MacOS may not yet have been updated to be able to read the XH-2 RAFs.

(As a side note and on the XT-4 at least even when using uncompressed when you use sports mode Finder can’t show the thumbnail so must be being compressed regardless of other settings.)

Edit: Looks like it’s an OS issue for now.
Neither of the XH-2 variants or the XT-5 are yet supported…

Last edited:
I use lossless compressed RAW on my X-T4 and my iPad cannot display the Raw file, either in the files app or when importing to Lightroom. If you use the uncompressed Raw then it seems it will show them but that's the only way.

Thanks for the responses, guys...
@Lost_Manc - I always use uncompressed, so the problem is not ther. I hadn't thought about the OS not yet being updated to include RAFs from this camera...

Thanks, @RichardC27. Don't have an iPad, just MBP (2020 model)
I had no trouble with Finder showing properly when I had the X-T 3 and 4 before switching to the H2

I'll just have to see if it is the OS not recognising them yet, which seems to be the most likely answer.

Edit: Just seen your edit, @Lost_Manc, which confirms what we thought. Thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah, sounds like the same that happens with OM-1 ORFs, just an icon.

I’d have thought OSX would have been updated by now, given the OM-1 came out in spring.

Suspect we might see a lot more people experiencing this over the coming days and weeks with XT-5s dropping into peoples hands.

That article was last updated on the 8/11/22 which I think roughly tied in with the last Ventura update.
Hopefully you won’t have to wait too long and with a potential XH-2s in my future I’ll keep in mind that support at OS level may still be missing.

Yeah, sounds like the same that happens with OM-1 ORFs, just an icon.

I’d have thought OSX would have been updated by now, given the OM-1 came out in spring.

Support for Olympus OM-1 RAW files was added with macOS Ventura at the end of October (and iOS 16) - it’s in the list linked to above

Last edited:
Support for Olympus OM-1 RAW files was added with macOS Ventura at the end of October (and iOS 16) - it’s in the list linked to above
I'd missed that in a quick assessment of Ventura, thanks.

I'm not going to Ventura until there has been at least one dot release.

I think if you have an app that read the files (regardless of OS) the icon will display as the app that supports? It's a pain though.
I am using Capture One which supports OM-1 files. Finder doesn't show thumbnails, nor does QuickView work (if that is what it is called!)

Back