Finding the Milky Way & Best Time of Year

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
Good Evening,

I hope you're all well? I'm thinking about going out over the next few evening to try a bit of astro photography. I've always wanted to take a picture of the Milky Way, but is this the best time of year to attempt it? Also, where is it located? I've got a good little iPhone app where I can find the different constellations. Apologies if this is a really stupid question.

Thanks for your time

Tim

P.s, Has anyone from the Dorset area got any good locations?

Technically anything up there is the milky way.

You'll be stood around for a while if you want to shoot the "Normal" milkyway shots as its not really visible until june/july

Get somewhere really dark. Give your eyes 10 mins to adjust and you can't fail to see it. Its amazing

Download Stellarium. Put the latitude and longitude in of the location and it will show you the night sky at all points of the compass. As long as you know the compass direction of your viewpoint you will be able to see where the Milky Way etc is.

If you find Orion's Belt then you are looking at the bottom edge of the Milky Way.

Last edited:
Download Stellarium. Put the latitude and longitude in of the location and it will show you the night sky at all points of the compass. As long as you know the compass direction of your viewpoint you will be able to see where the Milky Way etc is.

If you find Orion's Belt then you are looking at the bottom edge of the Milky Way.

Thank you Gaz

Here is the website that I use to get my lat and long from. It gives a constant reading as the cursor travels over the map. Once you click on a specific location it then holds those coordinates in the selected location box.

http://www.findlatitudeandlongitude.com/

Last edited:
Back