First attempt at DSLR video with 600D + Zoom H1

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Purchased a Canon 600D with Tamron 17-50 f2.8 plus a Zoom H1 for audio. Also used a £50 rig from Amazon in an attempt to keep the camera more steady and have magic lantern installed too.

This is my first attempt at putting a video together in Sony Vegas Pro 11.

[YOUTUBE]0LAPnEUONII[/YOUTUBE]

Please let me know what you think and what I could do to improve my technique. Thanks!

Last edited:
+1.. it's a bit shakey on the staic shots.

Is the sound level spiking on the engine pops? - I'm only listening on laptop speakers but the audio sounds a little cut-off at the pops.

How are you getting on with the H1? I've been thinking about getting one to put with a HX9V.

I really can't get excited about a car playing ping-pong in a tunnel though.. at least not unless it's a Triumph with a straight-six up-front! :cool:

+1.. it's a bit shakey on the staic shots.

Is the sound level spiking on the engine pops? - I'm only listening on laptop speakers but the audio sounds a little cut-off at the pops.

How are you getting on with the H1? I've been thinking about getting one to put with a HX9V.

I really can't get excited about a car playing ping-pong in a tunnel though.. at least not unless it's a Triumph with a straight-six up-front! :cool:

It goes up to 0db but I didnt see it clipping when I was editing the shots together. I was using auto-levels on the H1 for this video, not quite worked out the best way to set the levels manually yet? Any tips?

I like the H1, its a bit of a pain merging the audio with the video afterwards but I guess its worth it for the quality.

No problem on not getting excited, different things do it for different people. Totally understand how this is not some peoples thing, but for me I love it :D

Thank you for the feedback

I think its good for a first attempt. I would like to have seen the second clip and first clip edited so that the car runs to just over halfway through the tunnel from the first clip then cuts to just before the tunnel in the second to appear as a two camera setup rather than totally separate as it is... pref using the audio just from the first clip running over the second also. As it is it plays very segmented.

I think its good for a first attempt. I would like to have seen the second clip and first clip edited so that the car runs to just over halfway through the tunnel from the first clip then cuts to just before the tunnel in the second to appear as a two camera setup rather than totally separate as it is... pref using the audio just from the first clip running over the second also. As it is it plays very segmented.

Thats a good idea, it hadn't even crossed my mind. Thats why this kind of feedback is good, you get to see it from different angles (see what I did there...?).

Ta!

The problem, IMO, with running the first audio over the second clip is that the sound would be getting quieter despite the car accelerating towards. Also, the Doppler effect would be reversed and the pitch variation would be back to front.

I would have kicked in music at 15 seconds after the initial burst and then shown off the alloys, interior and mechanics of the car then shown the clip at 42 seconds. Everyone has their own style and this might have been too Top Gear for you!

Technically for a first attempt I think you did pretty good, your pans could have smoother but actually they are pretty decent!

The problem, IMO, with running the first audio over the second clip is that the sound would be getting quieter despite the car accelerating towards. Also, the Doppler effect would be reversed and the pitch variation would be back to front.

Ill have to research what the doppler effect and pitch variation are :p

I would have kicked in music at 15 seconds after the initial burst and then shown off the alloys, interior and mechanics of the car then shown the clip at 42 seconds. Everyone has their own style and this might have been too Top Gear for you!

Technically for a first attempt I think you did pretty good, your pans could have smoother but actually they are pretty decent!

I see what you mean, I did try another video where it was pans around the car in different angles that is on my youtube. It really wasn't very good though in my opinion!! Its here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfAknA297is

Here is another video I did at the weekend. This was simply a set to auto and hope for the best, although I did use a tripod.

[YOUTUBE]O6lJ5ixWuW0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Back