Beginner First attempt at lighting

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
So i don't post many photos on here as i feel most of my stuff is pretty sub standard. But just of late i've had a burning urge to start lighting my subjects. I don't know where this has come from, but it has started to make me think more about what i'm trying to achieve and how to go about it.
So here are some images of some flowers. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
untitled-28 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr
untitled-33 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr
untitled-32 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr
untitled-31 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr
untitled-30 by Dominic Rodgers, on Flickr

Hey Dominic
I think the first one, on my monitor anyway, has a few hotspots, which could easily be fixed in post. But I think you're off to a great start! :) I look forward to seeing more! :)
When I say 'few' , I mean 'two' ;)

Thank Bethy,
Plants are my thing being as i'm a gardener. I'm never in short supply of plants and flowers to photograph.
Yes #1 does have some hot spots, this was taken on sunday and was my first attempt where as the other 4 were taken today, i think i learnt a little bit from Sundays go (i was in a rush because it was mothers day and this Daff was about to be given away).

I love the pull back shot and they definitely don't look sub standard! Maybe a little foil/reflector beneath them might help to even the light.

Thank Bethy,
Plants are my thing being as i'm a gardener. I'm never in short supply of plants and flowers to photograph.
Yes #1 does have some hot spots, this was taken on sunday and was my first attempt where as the other 4 were taken today, i think i learnt a little bit from Sundays go (i was in a rush because it was mothers day and this Daff was about to be given away).
Doesn't take away from your shot :) It was just something i noticed, something to be mindful for, for next time. The lighter colours are more difficult to expose for.

I think these are really good and I particularly like the Hellebores. The lighting lifts so much of the colour out of the flowers. A really great effort.

Your setup cheered me up no end, as I'm in the same situation regarding space. Just goes to show its not all about the gear! Great job.

They look good, have you experimented with moving the light nearer (makes it softer) and further away from the subject?

You can also experiment with the effect of moving the light around behind the subject vs bringing it in front...

Lots of fun to be had with a simple set up!

Great stuff. I like these too. Am with the rest 4 is the winner but number 2 as a subject could be great if the stems were more curved. The reds show up great under that light though.

Gaz

Thanks to everyone that has found the time to look and reply. Your comments have inspired me to do more.
I think it maybe time to invest in a flash though.

Back