Critique First attempt at some landscapes.Warning-some HDR

Name
Peter Francis
Edit My Images
Yes
ECF893D5-4178-49FA-A03C-D243DB72CBD9.jpeg 9D76BAC0-15B6-46C2-A7E4-C48E67B6B923.jpeg 2D408E16-1C44-4779-B64A-A3F5CA8D2E10.jpeg

The first one is an attempt at a stitched panorama at Clumber Park Nottinghamshire.The second is part of Sandringham House and the last is whats locally called "surprise view" overlooking Hope Valley and Hathersage in Derbyshire.I know the HDR is a way over the top and to be honest I'm a bit embarrassed by them but I hope you get an idea of what the original photos looked like.I shall try to upload the originals at some point.Just don't have access to them at the moment.

Last edited:

Thanks for the warning, Peter!

The first is beautiful and my pick! (y)

No 2 is very striking.................Looks good but probably not everyones taste..............:)

#1 has some nice Autumnal colours but appears distorted, which could be corrected.
#2 & #3 are way overdone and typify the sort of extreme processing that gives HDR a bad name, you seriously need to hold back on the processing and even consider when/if HDR is appropriate for the scene (all IMO of course). :)

No 1 could be a great image with a bit of distortion correction and the correct post processing.

No 2 and 3 - Sorry, way over the top. I really don't get how somebody can look at an image like that and think, Wow that's looks amazing.

Have to say that #2 definitely needs winding back. #3 doesn't have the strong halo's, so looks like you've done a better job, although still a bit OTT in my mind.

Thanks all.Like I said I'm a little embarrassed by the HDR on the two images.The reason I processed them in HDR is because I read an article on one of the newspaper websites and was a story about some abandoned buildings and the photographer had used HDR and I have to admit the photos looked stunning.As people have said its entirely a matter of taste and although I like some HDR photos I think mine are way over the top.I shall try to dig out the originals of these.One last thing some have mentioned about the distortion on photo 1 but I'm not sure what you mean.Can somebody poit it out and how do I get rid of it.
Thanks for the input

Thanks all.Like I said I'm a little embarrassed by the HDR on the two images.The reason I processed them in HDR is because I read an article on one of the newspaper websites and was a story about some abandoned buildings and the photographer had used HDR and I have to admit the photos looked stunning.As people have said its entirely a matter of taste and although I like some HDR photos I think mine are way over the top.I shall try to dig out the originals of these.One last thing some have mentioned about the distortion on photo 1 but I'm not sure what you mean.Can somebody poit it out and how do I get rid of it.
Thanks for the input

The issue with the first one is mostly that the horizon isn't straight, this is also exaggerated but the leaning tree on the left. Theres not really a lot you can do about the tree, but straightening the horizon will help.

Back