First Attempt - Sea Kayaking

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first post so please be gentle and if its in the wrong forum apologies.

I love mountaineering and sea kayaking and last week was on a course in the Pentland Firth.

Some friends took photos and so did I, and here are a couple of my favourites.

Approaching Noss Head
DSC_0219.jpg

Noss Head
DSC_0221.jpg

Stroma Harbour
DSC_0045.jpg

Abandoned
DSC_0015.jpg

Lunch Stop
DSCN0870.jpg

Calm
DSCF3936sharp.jpg

I have started to get into my photography, and these are really about showing what the sport is about and what an excellent time we had, but comments appreciated. Just be gentle please.

Cheers

Nice to see Duncansby head. Last one is a great shot, others are good in an informational sort of way but pictorially only average. Great sport though and I am sure a great way of getting images others can't - so keep it up!

(y)

Thanks

Another couple...I know I have a long long way to go, bit sea kayaking as has been mentioned, gives the opportunity for some shots, some people may never see.

DSC_0078.jpg

NorthCoastSeaKayakMay08029.jpg

DSCF3865.jpg

DSCF3910-1.jpg

YF

I like that last one a lot! One thing that would improve it for me was if the Kayaker (is that what you're called?) was coming into the cave...

Thanks for the comments.

The reason I like the last one, is that you can see the kayaker heading into the surf beyond the cave, but then I suppose you need to be in the 'know'.

I have not dabbled with the pictures, and these are just straight from the camera.

I need to learn about composition firstly, and then the 'dabbling' bit.

Some nice shots there - just one minor point - the horizons should really be level (unless you want them tilted - in which case you need to tilt more) - try rotating them a little and recropping (and try to keep the horizon level in the viewfinder when you compose the shots to save cropping work later).

I agree that no. 6 is a corker.

Lovely shots. You've managed to cpature the iconic seakayaker shot in #3. I think you've hit the colours just fright as well, but they might benifit from a light sharpening.

Looks a lovely area though, I'd love to go paddling there. May I ask where the course was run from and what specific course it was?

cheers
Tom

Thanks again all.

The level horizon is quite difficult to capture when in the kayak, but good point and will continue to work on that.

The course was run by Glenmore Lodge call North Coast Tidal Planning, based in a Hostel in Thurso.

Paddled round North East, John O Groats and Kyle Of Tongue areas.

First time the course was run, and learned so much, expecially about rough seas handling, and would thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks for looking.

Love the shot called "Calm".

Cant be easy keeping a straight horizon when your seating on the sea in a canoe, keep up the good work.

"Calm" and the last one for me, all good but those 2 stand out.

Back