First bug shots for 2016

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
The sun is out and so are the ladybird/ladybug critters. 4 in the garden, spotted a spider which wasn't a willing subject and something else that was on our plastic-shed.

Very little cropping on 3 of them, the others, not cropped. Out of practice on the macro, I love to get the eyes in focus but failed on the ladybirds. Might pop out later for more on the dog walk, hopefully some flies about too.

600d for the extra crop-in, raynox 250 plus sigma 105, pringles tube with softbox material. All shot at F20, 160th sec, ISO200.

1.. on the shed door
Ladybird#4 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Ladybird#3 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

3.. Looking at the surrounding leaves, they've been muching quite happily.
Ladybird#5 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

4.. The harsh light on its back is the sun, just above you can see the softer light from the pringles tube softbox material
Ladybird#1 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Ladybird#2 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

_MG_0014 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

7.. Missed the dust spots on this :confused:
_MG_0019 by Carl Harrison, on Flickr

Thanks for dropping by and its good to get out with the macro gear again :) Fresh air and exercise too :)

Woohoo look at you man, out and about and about time too :D
No 4 is the pick for me although I understand about being out of practice.
No 7 is a cool shot too and I thought the dust bunnies were other bugs as they are so BIG :rolleyes:
Nice to see you back with the Macro gear (y)

Great start to the 2016 macro shoots :)

Good work Carl. I think you definitely needed a lower angle to make the most of those first two. It's obviously not always possibly, but the synthetic surface can make for a great clutter free background, especially if you can throw it out of focus.

Number's 4 & 5 are my picks for this set. I can't see your exif but upping your shutter speed would help combat the sun in this instance, and you might even get into HSS flash as it's a static subject.

Very nice start but some of us didnt stop :p

Last edited:
Back