Beginner First Camera Advice

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone,

Total beginner here... I'm looking to buy my first camera and have been doing research online, reading reviews etc to try and find a good first camera.

I've run into a few recommendations:
Canon M50
Sony A6000
Sony A6400
Canon 6D
Sony A7
Sony A7II

I need the camera to perform well for video (1080p 60fps, I don't need 4K at all really) and ideally be lightweight. I will also be using it for photography and I don't want to spend loads of money (I'm looking at second hand cameras primarily)

I have a few main questions.

1) I really like the look of the Sony A7 series, but are they overkill?
2) Is A7II worth the extra money over the original A7 (£450 vs £650 second hand)
3) Which camera do you recommend out of these
4) Is there another camera I should be looking at

I would also appreciate lens recommendations to go with these cameras, something that I can use most of the time for filming (both with a tripod and selfie style) and photography

If you could let me know what you think, that would be amazing!

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
No
Everyone has their own opinion but there are certain guide lines one can take

1= Set a budget to include a lens and memory card
2= Decide on a type of camera
3= Choose from say 3 or 4
4= Go and get hands on to see which is most comfortable to hold
5= Check out the camera functions
6= Get the one you first thought of and liked :rolleyes: ;)
7= Or take a look at Camcorders. ( have a Panasonic which takes great photos and videos .No messing about getting videos into focus as with a DSLR)

camcorder video in awkward lighting situation on board ship, sound not bad either, also no time limit of recording as with a DSLR

zoom no probs see all video

my camcorder

Last edited:
Edit My Images
Yes
Can’t help much with those but look at the auto/continues focus options for video.

my Nikon won’t/can’t continuously focus whilst in video mode, I’ve heard cannons do but can’t confirm and no idea about Sony.

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
I agree with the above

The A7S was built for video wasn't it?

For small and light consider m4/3 (Olympus and panasonic) too what is your budget

Name
Bazza
Edit My Images
No
forgot to mention with videoing you can get a lot of wind noise rumbling ,so getting a mike muffler is important. I can hightly rcommend aSennheiser MKE400 and adding a Gutmann muffler(deadcat) both small but do the job. tested other deadcats but not as good as this for a small rig
Test video using these

Last edited: