1. TurbodTurtle

TurbodTurtle

Name:
    Ashley
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Hi all,

I am looking for my first camera and have completed a fair bit of research, at work I use an old Nikon D80 but they have some decent lenses, I have managed some decent pictures with it.

I was thinking of getting a cheap Nikon DSLR (<£100) and investing in a good lens, but then, after a lot of research like all things my budget went up and up. I have now been looking into mirrorless due to its size and features, Sony seemed to come out on top as they seem to have the highest lens variety.

I had set on an A6000 with the kit lens, but I went to Currys to have a look and they had one, but I found it felt a little awkward in my hand and preferred the chunkier grip on the Nikon and the Nikon's buttons felt better too. I also felt at my experience level the £450 A600 may be a bit expensive and complicated for me.

My budget is up to £450 for ideally a Camera, spare battery, charger, bag, if I can get a prime lens too then great, and as many accessories as I can get!

Is £450 a bit much considering I just use my S8 at the minute? What would be a good budget to get everything I need with a good camera that would suit me? I am looking at used cameras to save a bit of money.

Photos I like taking;

Night shots using light to highlight things (I have a bit of an obsession with cars and I really like these kind of pictures as they highlight the colour more and the car 'scene' predominantly takes place at night)
    Car shows, I go to quite a few of these!
    People, not portraits or in a studio or anything like that, just out being natural, I took a great picture of a girl just reading a text message and it was the simplest shot I took but captured the emotion in her face and the interaction with the phone which I really liked.
    Landscapes, especially when it snows, I tend to get very excited and photograph anything and everything covered in snow.

Thanks in advance, sorry if a silly question!

2. realspeed

realspeed

Name:
    Bazza
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
    TurbodTurtle likes this.
  3. Harlequin565

Harlequin565

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I'm not really going to comment on specific cameras because I'm not knowledgeable enough. However....

In my experience, most modern (within the last 5 years) DSLRs will do a grand job with what you're after - and how it feels in your hand is probably the most important decision! Grab a second hand body with a kit lens then go take pictures. Quite quickly you'll start to discover what's limiting you and can then look to start upgrading, or sell the 2nd hand system and buy into something else (sell DSLR and buy mirrorless for example). Usually, if you buy second hand, you can get a fair bit back if you sell on after a year.
    Don't forget the extra bits & pieces though. A tripod for example, will help with steady images for your night photography and landscapes. If you're out and about a lot with your camera, a bag might be useful. Then there's memory cards, and perhaps software (if you're into that sort of thing). These can take your £450 budget and turn it into £550 quite quickly. As to whether that's "too much", I think that's impossible to answer because the only person who has to live with a £450 shaped hole is you :)

TurbodTurtle likes this.
  4. welshwizard645

welshwizard645

Name:
    Peter
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I presume you are allowed to borrow the lenses from work? If not, and if they are decent, you may end up disappointed with the lenses you can afford to buy.......

You've done well to do the research, identify what works well on paper, only to discover they don't fit in your hand. It's just like the great FA cup upsets - football is not played on paper.

As Harlequin says, anything made in the last 5 years will work for you - a lot of the 12-16MP cameras will be superb for landscape and nighttime photography. Buying 2nd means you don't suffer depreciation as much as the original owner too.

5. TurbodTurtle

TurbodTurtle

Name:
    Ashley
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have found a new Nikon D5600 with kit lens and cleaning kit for £480, this seems very cheap, could there be something i am missing?

6. LojikDub

LojikDub

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Depends where you found it I guess. That's lower than the grey import price so I guess just use your normal judgement and gut instinct.

TurbodTurtle likes this.
  7. medwaygreen

medwaygreen

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    TurbodTurtle likes this.
  8. Mintchocs

Mintchocs

Name:
    Clint
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Whatever your budget it’s never going to be enough! :beer:Don’t forget to budget for photo editing software, decent monitor, backup drives and if you’re really keen then prints/ printer.

TurbodTurtle likes this.
  9. TurbodTurtle

TurbodTurtle

Name:
    Ashley
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Should I be concerned about these massive price differences? I saw a D5500 on London Camera Exchange but it sold just before I could get it, but the prices seem to fluctuate massively, a new D5600 is cheaper than a used D5500?

What is the deal with grey imports? Are they bad and to avoid or is it just a Chinese manual that I'd never read anyway?

I have a powerful PC (gaming) so hopefully the monitors will be good enough, editing software is at least a few months down the line yet :)

10. Mintchocs

Mintchocs

Name:
    Clint
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Grey market basically means the manufacturer will not honour the warranty so you have to send it back to the retailer you bought it from and rely on them to fix it.

11. TurbodTurtle

TurbodTurtle

Name:
    Ashley
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  12. Muzzieman

Muzzieman

Name:
    Andrew
    Edit My Images:
    No
    This is not true at all. We live in a global market nowadays. My 5d3 was a "Grey" Import fully covered by CPS no issues whatsoever.
    I have a 5D4 on the way from the same supplier at pretty much half the uk retail price. I would like to always buy from my local camera store when possible but getting a new body for £500 less than a used one and £1500 cheaper than new is not to be sniffed at. None of these cameras are manufactured in Europe anyway and are all imported

TurbodTurtle likes this.
  13. HoppyUK

HoppyUK

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    This isn't the true picture, or the full story.

A grey import is one that comes in through independent channels outside the EU, ie not from Canon UK. VAT will not have been paid (or import duty on lenses) meaning that it's illegal unless the buyer, ie you as the importer, pays HMRC on delivery. This fact, and the impact grey imports have on UK retailers, raises moral issues.

The warranty is the responsibility of the retailer. There will be no warranty from Canon UK, so any repair work will be at their discretion. This could mean that they'll refuse it, or more likely they'll just charge you instead. Grey imports are not checked when registered with CPS (Canon Professional Services - for preferential repairs) but they will be in the event of a claim. For these reasons, the better grey importers make their own warranty arrangements and anecdotal evidence is that this can work well.

That's it in a nutshell, a bit of a minefield that raises a lot of questions that have been hotly debated on here, and at great length if you search.