Beginner First Day Out

Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, so today I have been out with the camera. It's my first time..... Taken about 300 shots (jumped in straight on manual mode) just to see what happens. After flicking through the camera it looks like I have about 4 or 5 photos that I think ( not bad for a first timer). All photos are as I took them ( no playing on the comp on an editing software - yet! Lol). So my next job is to find out how to get them on here ( bit more reading methinks) would love some constructive criticism - dont get offended pls feel free to be as honest as you like ( when I find out how to post)

Ok, so today I have been out with the camera. It's my first time..... Taken about 300 shots (jumped in straight on manual mode) just to see what happens. After flicking through the camera it looks like I have about 4 or 5 photos that I think ( not bad for a first timer). All photos are as I took them ( no playing on the comp on an editing software - yet! Lol). So my next job is to find out how to get them on here ( bit more reading methinks) would love some constructive criticism - dont get offended pls feel free to be as honest as you like ( when I find out how to post)

Just a couple of IMVHO's...

Personally I very rarely use Manual Mode and only use it if there's a specific reason to such as not wanting any settings to change from shot to shot, or something like that. Mostly I use a semi auto mode and my personal favourite is Aperture priority. I set the aperture and the camera sets the shutter speed and I dial in any exposure compensation as I see fit. If the shutter speed drops too far (my cameras don't have a minimum shutter setting) I switch to Shutter priority or as a last choice to Manual mode. I know that many people prefer Shutter priority to Aperture. Personally I wouldn't use Manual mode unless I thought there wasn't another way to go as you have to set the aperture and the shutter and possibly the ISO too (some cameras don't have auto ISO in Manual mode,) but that's just me.

I'd be a bit phased if I only got a hand full of pictures that I thought were ok out of hundreds, unless the conditions were horrendous and then of course a 5% good rate might be wonderful :D Personally I'm pretty upset with myself if I have to delete a shot but I do admit that sometimes some subjects seem to look good when I'm stood in front of them and later I wonder why I took the picture. Mostly though I only tend to take a picture if I'm pretty sure I'm going to want to keep it.

I'm not trying to have a pop or teach you to suck eggs... it's just that personally I don't see anything wrong in using a semi auto mode and I don't see any great kudos in using Manual mode unless it's the best choice for some reason. I know that there is a tendency for some people to think that you have to use manual to be a real man but it's not something I agree with. I also see nothing wrong in going out for the day and coming back with 10 shots. I personally would rather do that than come home with 100 and be disappointed with the majority of them.

Anyway, food for thought :D

Thanks for that Alan. I basically messed around with camera's buttons n dials - just to see what I got ( if anything) I can understand your thinking and I can see my self using the auto,AP modes as well ( but I am the type to jump in with both feet ( just to see what sort of mess I get myself into:coat:) sometimes it works, most of the time it doesn't

Hi what you need to is learn the creative modes av, tv and manual. This is way you will get the best out of your camera

I agree with learning how to get the best out of gear but once we've grasped it all... I think that the picture it what matters or perhaps even getting the picture is what matters and if that means using Program or even Auto then... fine.

I going to go the other way on this one. Let me start off by saying I use priority modes a lot. That being said I use them when there is simply not enough time to make the adjustment myself. I do a lot of street photography and the conditions change so fast that there is simply not enough time to make an adjustment and grab a candid shot. However, I could give you a lot of reasons why manual mode is the mode to use when time is not a factor. The one that comes to mind first is creativity. The cameras metering system is good but not nearly as good as your eye. Manual mode will give you complete control of your photography. The list goes on from there. But my advise to a beginner is learning manual mode will help you understand how the camera is working to get proper exposure and once you grasp that you can move to priority modes.
I hope that helps .

Back