First DSLR and lens. Opinions please?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

I'd really appreciate your opinions on my proposed entry into the DSLR world! I'm thinking of buying the new EOS 400D with a Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC and a Cannon EF 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 IS USM. There's so much choice out there when it comes to lenses but I feel that this should be an all round good combination to cover all bases, so to speak. What d'ya think?

Wanting a different lens to one you already have is a fact of life with DSLR. Second hand prices hold up quite well for lenses so you won't lose too painful an amount when you sell one you bought new or get your money back if you sell one you bought used. So don't be too frightened of the wrong choices at the start (though they sound like sensible choices).

Holding the camera to see if you like the feel is a good idea but I've a feeling I'd have gone for the spec of the 400 over the Nikon anyway.

not used either lens, but the sigma 70-300 APO that i have is a cracker, if the canon is anywhere near as good then you are on a winner

I have the sigma 17-70 and find it to be a cracking piece of glass, so much better than the plasticky kit lens. I posted a number of pics with it in the photo sharing section of the site but they on the 3rd page by now. I also have the sigma 70-300 apo which I find very sharp and it was only £119 from onestop-digital.

Thanks guys, i feel a bit better now no one said "you must be mad"!!! Joe I have held the 350D and i found it quite comfortable coz i have small hands although i did like the D50 too.

They are sound choices and hard to beat. Anything else will be give or take and you make the biggest difference to the quality of your shots anyway. The IS lens will be useful if you don't shoot with a monopod or tripod.

Depends really on what you want to shoot and how much you want to spend - the lenses you mention will be a good range and should exploit those extra pixels :)

Sounds great - the 70-300 IS is sometimes said to be optically approaching an L. The 17-70 is also a great lens - it'll be my next purchase.

Back