Beginner First DSLR...Is used a good idea?

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been playing around with my compact for some time now (Panasonic FZ28) and have begun to outgrow it - it's been a great little camera, but I'm beginning to run into problems with it. The more I use it and the more effort I would like to put into my pictures the more limiting it has become (major problems are bad quality higher ISOs and fiddly menu system).

I'm on a tight budget and was thinking about going for a new lens and a used body (or used both possibly). A shop near me does used equipment with 12 month's warranty, so was considering going with something from them. I'm wondering though, how much life is likely to be left in a body of say, 5/6 years old once the warranty is gone?

Well I would not got for something that old its 2 or 3 slots behind current ..But the main thing is you want to know the shutter count . If they dont know then take a card along and take a shot and put it into www.myshuttercount.com the other way is to go to The photographers bag at http://stores.ebay.co.uk/The-Photog...55802018&_sid=543964598&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322 and if you dont like it just send it back for the cost of the postage.
You are looking for something that has not been used much since purchased maybe 3000 shots as most cameras have a life of 100 000.
Remember if you choose Nikon or Canon then that choice will be with you for many years as it expensive to change brand ...

Last edited:
Hello James and welcome to TP. There are loads of good cameras out the but if you tell us your budget then it will be a bit easier to suggest something.

Dave

BTW I used an FZ28 for a few years - things have moved on but it is still a good camera.

Hello James and welcome to TP. There are loads of good cameras out the but if you tell us your budget then it will be a bit easier to suggest something.

Dave

BTW I used an FZ28 for a few years - things have moved on but it is still a good camera.

Thanks, and yeah I've been really happy with it other than the problems mentioned above. I would be happy with a similar camera to replace it to be honest, but I'm not sure which one! I travel quite a bit so the small size is ideal, and the dslr equivelant zoom range would be the exact opposite :mad:

My budget for a dslr would only be about £400 at present, so I would be scrimping on either the body or lens even used to get a big step up in quality. I've also become used to having the vast zoom range on the Panasonic, and I would probably need to sacrifice either end of that to stay within budget

Most people look after there equipment, so long as it has a low shutter count, if you buy from a reputable dealer you will get at least 6mths warranty

Of the ones I've seen, the lowest shutter count was over 26000.

26000 is not a lot for a camera that's maybe rated for 150,000. As long as the camera looks the part it's probably been well looked after which is very important.

You could always look at places like mpbphotographic for used items

Just another thought if you are looking for the flexibility and chip size of a Dslr, but are worried about size, why not look at CSC cameras, the bodies tend to be smaller and lighter, many have apsc size chips (same as canon xxxxD,xxxxD,xxD ranges) still have the flexibility of interchangeable lens. It's pointless spending however much on a Dslr if it spends most of its time at home due to size and weight.

You could always look at places like mpbphotographic for used items
I'm thinking

I had a look on their site and it looks pretty good. I was also looking here which is local to me.

Just another thought if you are looking for the flexibility and chip size of a Dslr, but are worried about size, why not look at CSC cameras, the bodies tend to be smaller and lighter, many have apsc size chips (same as canon xxxxD,xxxxD,xxD ranges) still have the flexibility of interchangeable lens. It's pointless spending however much on a Dslr if it spends most of its time at home due to size and weight.

I think what I need to do is spend more money! I'll wait and go for a DSLR with a lens that will cover the zoom range I currently have, I don't mind a bit of extra weight/bulk, just not a bag full of lenses. I'm thinking hold on to my fz28, and save some more money. The 18-300 Nikon looks a nice lens.

I don't mind a bit of extra weight/bulk, just not a bag full of lenses. The 18-300 Nikon looks a nice lens.

You seem reluctant to change the lens on a DSLR which, to me personally seems pointless in owning one. Would a more up to date super zoom camera not be more appropriate?

The 18-300mm lens you've mentioned certainly has a good zoom range but it comes at a compromise.

Last edited:
I'm thinking

I had a look on their site and it looks pretty good. I was also looking here which is local to me.

I think what I need to do is spend more money! I'll wait and go for a DSLR with a lens that will cover the zoom range I currently have, I don't mind a bit of extra weight/bulk, just not a bag full of lenses. I'm thinking hold on to my fz28, and save some more money. The 18-300 Nikon looks a nice lens.

Looking at your dealer site they have a Nikon D3200 twin lens kit for £319.00 It's supposed to be a very good camera and some people say its better than the newer D3300. They seem to have some good deals on Ex-Demo kit, worth popping in and having a look, they may also take your camera in part exchange.

Link>http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Ca...0K006.htm?ne=AQAAAHwAAAAEDU5pa29uIEYgTW91bnQ=

http://www.harrisoncameras.co.uk/Ca...tm#&&pi=1&ne=AQAAAHwAAAAEDU5pa29uIEYgTW91bnQ=

You seem reluctant to change the lens on a DSLR which, to me personally seems pointless in owning one.

I disagree totally with that. Some of us like the handling and features of a DSLR camera as well as the improved image quality etc, but don't want the hassle of changing lenses. It's just important to choose the best single lens which will suit you best.

AL

I disagree totally with that. Some of us like the handling and features of a DSLR camera as well as the improved image quality etc, but don't want the hassle of changing lenses. It's just important to choose the best single lens which will suit you best.

AL

Good for you, I said 'personally' so I hope I'm allowed a view point. Must be the same reason why people buy a DSLR and never remove the kit lens.

Possibly - if that lens is adequate for their needs why should they.

Last edited:

AL

unless you have very specific needs though such as say only shooting macro - 'the single best lens' will inevitably be a compromise and give results that arent as good as several lenses would give, if that's okay with you then its clearly your choice but it does seem like a bit of a waste of money... in those circumstances i'd suggest one of the bigger bridge cameras which has DSLR style handling without a dslr price tag.

you won't get 'improved image quality' over a bridge type camera if you are using something like an 18-300 ... barrel distortion at one end, pin cushion distorton at the other, soft wide open and fringing through out .... luverly

unless you have very specific needs though such as say only shooting macro - 'the single best lens' will inevitably be a compromise and give results that arent as good as several lenses would give, if that's okay with you then its clearly your choice but it does seem like a bit of a waste of money... in those circumstances i'd suggest one of the bigger bridge cameras which has DSLR style handling without a dslr price tag.

you won't get 'improved image quality' over a bridge type camera if you are using something like an 18-300 ... barrel distortion at one end, pin cushion distorton at the other, soft wide open and fringing through out .... luverly

The one place where I'm struggling at the moment is with noise and the inability to shoot in low light, such as woodland etc. at higher ISOs, especially at the longer end of the zoom range. Any higher iso setting than about 400 on my camera is patchy to say the least. At a push 800 is usable in some cases, but the prints don't look good. i realize having a zoom rather than a prime on a dslr won't give me massive improvements glass-wise, but surely the iso problem would disappear and there are other benefits, such as more buttons/less menu, decent viewfinder etc. Whether or not those problems alone are worth the £££ spent on a DSLR is another matter! If I could find a superzoom that was a big step up (especially ISO) from the camera I have now, I would probably go with one. It has been a pretty good camera though and all bridge cameras seem to struggle with low(er) iso quality due to the senser?

Last edited:
Good for you, I said 'personally' so I hope I'm allowed a view point. Must be the same reason why people buy a DSLR and never remove the kit lens.

The idea behind me looking at the 18-300 was not having to change the lens outdoors in bad weather etc. Also, it would mean having a landscape/wideangle lens rolled in with the zoom for wildlife.
I realize this would mean a compromise in quality somewhat with the glass.

Last edited:
The idea behind me looking at the 18-300 was not having to change the lens outdoors in bad weather etc. Also, it would mean having a landscape/wideangle lens rolled in with the zoom for wildlife.

I totally agree with you and own a 18-270mm lens myself and find it very useful for when I'm out and about. However my 50mm 1.8 knocks spots off it. Just seems naive to want a changeable lens camera and not change the lens.

if you do a lot of wildlife 300mm isnt likely to be long enough for long - my most used lens (for my own photography - paid work excepted) is my 150-500. I don't find the need to have an all in one as if i go out for wildlife i'm not going to be doing a lot of landscape and vice versa ... course you do get the ocasional remarkable sunset while you are sat thee in a hide or something, but thats when the little go everywhere TZ 35 comes into play.

Personally i'd say don't worry about changing lenses - weven in the p***ing rain Ive changed mine inside my jacket countless times without a problem.

I've decided to go down the dslr route, and sacrifice the zoom range. I'll hold on to my fz28 for that. I can't afford everything and cutting corners/scrimping seems like false economy. I think I'm going with a d3200 and the 35mm f1.8 lens.

Have you looked into shooting with a prime? It can be a different shooting style than using a zoom for some uses. For example street photography, you have to zoom with your feet, so you may find that you miss shots or they aren't framed right if your not light on your feet and see the shots before they happen. Try setting your fz28 to 35mm and leave it there, then see what it's like to not be able to zoom and wether it's something you like. It would be a shame to get a new camera just to find that you keep going back to your old one because you can't get on with the shooting style of a prime. You need to spend time with your new camera to learn how to get the best out of it, and if your not getting the results you want because your lens choice isn't right for you, it will get frustrating.

I used a sigma 18-200 OS lens, teamed with my D70 then my D300, when I started and that was a good all rounder. The Optical Stabilisation (teamed with the right ISO) helped with lower light shots, I think I picked it up for about £130ish off of evil bay

Shutter count isn't all-important and they don't suddenly give up when they reach the manufacturer's rating number. Also, a shutter box component can be easily replaced I'm told.

So shoot shoot shoot and learn and enjoy! You don't buy a fast car to then keep her in the garage all the time.

TP Classifieds are a good place to buy camera gear - I have bought all 4 of my Canon L lenses here.

I've decided to go down the dslr route, and sacrifice the zoom range. I'll hold on to my fz28 for that. I can't afford everything and cutting corners/scrimping seems like false economy. I think I'm going with a d3200 and the 35mm f1.8 lens.

That's the thing, you don't have to sacrifice anything with a DSLR (unless you're unwilling to change the lens). Your 1 lens choice has gone from superzoom to wide prime, pretty much polar opposites.

Exactly as the Welsh Noob says.... When you buy DSLR you buy into a camera system which then offers you lots of lens options (though at a cost!) :D

That's the thing, you don't have to sacrifice anything with a DSLR (unless you're unwilling to change the lens). Your 1 lens choice has gone from superzoom to wide prime, pretty much polar opposites.

Yeah, when I said sacrifice I meant for the time being. I figured going with the prime would make me learn a bit more about framing my shots etc. and thinking more about the pictures I want to take. I still have the fz28 for the long zoom anyway.

Have you looked into shooting with a prime? It can be a different shooting style than using a zoom for some uses. For example street photography, you have to zoom with your feet, so you may find that you miss shots or they aren't framed right if your not light on your feet and see the shots before they happen. Try setting your fz28 to 35mm and leave it there, then see what it's like to not be able to zoom and wether it's something you like. It would be a shame to get a new camera just to find that you keep going back to your old one because you can't get on with the shooting style of a prime. You need to spend time with your new camera to learn how to get the best out of it, and if your not getting the results you want because your lens choice isn't right for you, it will get frustrating.

I used a sigma 18-200 OS lens, teamed with my D70 then my D300, when I started and that was a good all rounder. The Optical Stabilisation (teamed with the right ISO) helped with lower light shots, I think I picked it up for about £130ish off of evil bay

For the moment I've only ordered the body, I've seen a couple of used 35mm primes in a local shop so I'm going to have a look and see what else they've got. I can always try out the 35mm for a month or two and resell it if I don't get on with it (hopefully not losing much). I've been having a play around with my fz28 at 2x zoom which is about 55mm. It does cut down your options, but also puts you more in the moment and makes you seem more like a participant in the process, rather than somemone observing from a distance.

I've also been looking on the net at 50mm landscape/nature shots and there are some amazing pictures.

Last edited:
Could the 35mm lens be used with an extension tube for the odd macro shot?

I still have the fz28 for the long zoom anyway.

Good point. Sounds like a plan. Having the DSLR with the prime on and the fz28 for zooming would save you having to carry around another lens I suppose.

My main concern is that the 35mm would not be wide enough for landscape stuff - although I'm not massively obsessed with taking ultra wide, panoramic shots, which obviously the lens would be no good for...I think I've got a little too used to the range on my fz28!

My main concern is that the 35mm would not be wide enough for landscape stuff - although I'm not massively obsessed with taking ultra wide, panoramic shots, which obviously the lens would be no good for...I think I've got a little too used to the range on my fz28!

Would be good if you could change the lens in that situation maybe you should buy a.........

The kit lens will come off at some point, I will want something wider and longer eventually. That's why I didn't go for the 35mm - it won't be wide enough for a lot of things I want to do, the kit lens might not be perfect but I think I'll get a lot more use out of it for the time being.

Last edited:
Back