First equine shoot

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
And this was my first capture. Will process some more later, but wanted some feedback on this. How could I have improved it? I'm thinking more side on?

IMG_6161 by Nick Brennan, on Flickr

Any CC would be welcomed

It is nice and arty from a photographic point of view but in my experience horse owners want to be able to recognise their beasts so more of the animal and more DoF (to show the body as opposed to brown blur) would work better, I suspect you have shot like that too.

It is nice and arty from a photographic point of view but in my experience horse owners want to be able to recognise their beasts so more of the animal and more DoF (to show the body as opposed to brown blur) would work better, I suspect you have shot like that too.

Thanks for the feedback, and to be honest, I did think that. And yes I have several hundred different angles! It was great fun, though. My first time spent around horses and their owners.

I think it is waaaay too bright as the highlights demonstrate.
I don't really mind the shallow DoF, it is part of the exploratory fun!
I did shoot lots of horses and loves to be around them.

For me, it's the white blaze on the left hand side that doesn't work. Because it's oof (on purpose) and the whites are blown. It just doesn't look quite right. I quite like the focus on the eye and don't mind the shallow dof.

Funny, I never really gave the brightness much thought. Looking now it's blindingly obvious

My wife's horse is black and white (piebald, skewbald I can never remember which way round), it's a nightmare taking photos on a bright sunny day, overcast days work better :).
Horses eyes and ears show lots of emotions and character, so owners do like to include these in photos of their beloved horses.

Welcome to the joys of photographing a dark(er) beast with a white stripe on its face :dummy::dummy::dummy::dummy:

Back