First film developed....

• Thread starter reddeathdrinker
  • Start date
R

reddeathdrinker

Well, that's the first roll of film developed! Got it hanging up in the shower cubicle drying:woot: Going to go sweet-talk my old man later, get him to scan them in on his film scanner...Not expecting miracles, but the negatives look none-too-shabby! I used Ilford chemicals - ID-11 developer, Ilfostop and Rapid Fixer, and also found out why I need the bits I don't have! (storage bottles, bigger mixing cylinders;))

First-time thoughts? Well, loading the film onto the spiral wasn't any trouble, getting the chemicals mixed (at the right temp!) was fairly straightforward, and the actual timing will be better with a proper timer, as the screen on my mobile goes off after 10 seconds!! I need better mixing/storage containers, and I have a timer, changing bag and film squeegee coming next week. Oh, might get some wetting agent, see how this film goes!

Great feeling doing it yourself, isn't it?Look forward to seeing the results - is this 35mm or 120 film? I use empty plastic milk bottles for storing chemicals - works a treat.

I've just dev'd a roll myself and also have it hanging in the shower ;)

Loading the film on to the spiral was the worst part for me, everything else was a breeze! It took me about 6 hours on and off in total and in the end I had to cut the last few exposures off as it just refused to load. My 2nd time was a lot easier, don't know why :LOL:

It took me about 6 hours on and off in total

:eek:

My first time loading onto a spiral was pretty awful as well -didn't have a dark bag, so loaded it under my duvet - took me about 30-minutes and when I was done I was sweating badly. But 6 hours? Wow, I'm impressed. :LOL:

I've tried it twice now and still can't load a film onto a reel without creasing it.

...is this 35mm or 120 film? I use empty plastic milk bottles for storing chemicals - works a treat.

It's 35mm - Ilford Delta 400. I'll have to keep my plastic milk cartons now - never thought of using them!!

:eek:

My first time loading onto a spiral was pretty awful as well -didn't have a dark bag, so loaded it under my duvet - took me about 30-minutes and when I was done I was sweating badly. But 6 hours? Wow, I'm impressed. :LOL:

I know :( Put me right off developing it afterwards, I put it in the corner and didn't touch it for about 2 weeks! It was a nightmare, gave me a right headache :bang:

Just for any other newbies trying this - It's well worth getting an out of date unused cheap film and practising a few times in the light and then in a changing bag or a dark room get the hang of it and them onto the real thing.

Just for any other newbies trying this - It's well worth getting an out of date unused cheap film and practising a few times in the light and then in a changing bag or a dark room get the hang of it and them onto the real thing.

Definiately agree with this! Saying that, I did exactly that and the practice went fine, it was just when it came down to the real thing that it all went to **** :LOL:

I've tried it twice now and still can't load a film onto a reel without creasing it.

As suggeted practice with some old film.
Also try snipping the corners off the the film, this should help the film be taken up as you feed it onto the spiral.

Back