Beginner First film

Name
Damion
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi
Iv just posted in the bronica owners thread
Iv suddenly become the owner of a bronica etrs and need a relatively cheap film to try it out with , any advice greatly appreciated

Hi
Iv just posted in the bronica owners thread
Iv suddenly become the owner of a bronica etrs and need a relatively cheap film to try it out with , any advice greatly appreciated
I always test new kit using slide film as it gives you an easy to assess frsult without interference of scanning etc I don't know of a cheap slide film.

Yeah agree with others, Fomapan is probably the cheapest. But don't forget to factor in developing cost.

I always used Fomapan 100 for this very purpose. As the above posters have alluded to, on the proviso that you have cheap access to B&W developing; otherwise a C41 film may be more sensible (the film being more expensive, but the developing being cheaper).

Has anyone used it recently - is it still a curly nightmare?

Fomapan is the cheapest. As others have said there aren’t any cheap colour negative like with 35mm. I’ve always thought a cheaper colour film like Kodak gold would sell really well in 120 as there are very few pros who shoot film. Regarding slide film, getting a role might be a good idea to test the shutter in your lens. When I got an ETRS the lens shutter was sticky and I didn’t notice for a while because of the crazy latitude of B&W film.

I like to test on colour negative, because processing is also cheap and it's easier to spot light leaks in colour. Colour slide is probably the best test, though, for the reasons that Tom and Paul suggest. Unfortunately there seems to be little colour film available in 120 for under £10 a roll (though you can save on multi-packs if it's a film you'll use again). Process Supplies in London have some decent prices on single rolls of Ektar and Portra (colour negative) and Provia (colour slide), but they have a £7.80 shipping charge that makes small orders expensive if you're not shopping in person: https://www.processuk.net

Last edited:
Iv ordered a roll of forma 100 to test through the camera , I feel like this might be a long journey ( I find the darkroom fascinating) thank you all for your advice , I will definitely require more help I’m afraid .

Back