First flash - advice please

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, I've got to the stage (52s in full cry!) that I really should get to use something other than the pop-up on the canon 60D, soon to be an 80D. I started looking at the Yonguo YN568 EX as a good starting point, but I've seen several mentions of the YN 600EX RT which is clearly a more advanced flash with radio contact for master/slave interactions. Given that there's only a modest price difference between these flashes would it be worthwhile getting the 600, or is that overkill for a flash newbie and should I spend the difference on some modifiers or stands instead.

Hi John
Flashes with an inbuilt receiver are a bit of a saving in cost, but a huge saving in faff and batteries later on.

The YN685 is essentially a YN568 with a receiver built in, the YN600 is the same flash but with a Canon spec radio receiver built in.

But I'd go for a Godox if I were you and just starting out. The TT 685 would be my choice but you can get the cheaper 600 which I think is just missing the HSS (could be wrong).

Godox puts you into a single trigger system that'll control speedlights, studio heads, and portable studio kit too. No on else has such a comprehensive system.

Edit to add.

It's no good spending money on stands and softboxes until you've got the ability to fire the flash off camera.

Last edited:
But I'd go for a Godox if I were you and just starting out. The TT 685 would be my choice but you can get the cheaper 600 which I think is just missing the HSS (could be wrong).

Godox puts you into a single trigger system that'll control speedlights, studio heads, and portable studio kit too. No on else has such a comprehensive system.

Sorry to bother you Phil but I had a look on Amazon for the TT685 and there's quite a list on there. Do you know if the TTL E-TTL HSS TT685C will work mounted on the Canon 5Diii? I've not got a flash at the moment so want to make sure I choose correctly from the start.

Sorry to bother you Phil but I had a look on Amazon for the TT685 and there's quite a list on there. Do you know if the TTL E-TTL HSS TT685C will work mounted on the Canon 5Diii? I've not got a flash at the moment so want to make sure I choose correctly from the start.
It should do, but I'd double check the manual online.

Posts suggesting the godox flashes are correct. A year ago or so I would have suggested the yo gnuo as well but godox have moved the game on now AND you can expand the system to work with studio strobes or the battery powered location strobes. One thing I would add tho is if you plan on using it/them occasionally then I'd suggest the AA powered option as Lipo battery options whilst great in high power applications tend not to like being left unused for periods of time.

Back