First Fly and Ladybird shots

If those are your first… a darn good start!

Reactions: smr
That's a very good start Joel, #2 in particular is showing some very nice detail.(y)

"If you take a look at postings 457 & 458 in the "Show us your macro rig" thread you'll see how I've made up flash diffusers etc for my similar macro rigs to yours".

George.

Great start but, No 1 a little too dark on one side, that's my only criticism.,No 2 is spot on with focus, very nice indeed.
Other than that, 3 nice shots, keep at it.

Nice shots Joels, love the 1st one (y)

Thanks Carl, likewise with your ladybird captures today.

That's a very good start Joel, #2 in particular is showing some very nice detail.(y)

"If you take a look at postings 457 & 458 in the "Show us your macro rig" thread you'll see how I've made up flash diffusers etc for my similar macro rigs to yours".

George.

Thanks George I'll have a look at them.

Great start but, No 1 a little too dark on one side, that's my only criticism.,No 2 is spot on with focus, very nice indeed.
Other than that, 3 nice shots, keep at it.

Thanks Graham, I see what you mean about #1 thanks for the feedback

:)

I was just going through my Lightroom catalogue again and I'd missed a shot taken today when flicking through earlier and it's probably my favourite ! edit - actually I'm not sure between this and #2 as #2 seems a bit sharper with more detail in the eyes but I'm happy with this as well. Here it is:

Pretty Fly by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice work Joel. I prefer the latest incarnation. A better composition means I'm not twisting my head so much, although #2 does seem a tad sharper.

Great set, although your lighting is very nice, some additional diffusion will help, especially with subject like that shiny ladybird.

you have a dirty sensor my friend but those flies look great!

I was just going through my Lightroom catalogue again and I'd missed a shot taken today when flicking through earlier and it's probably my favourite ! edit - actually I'm not sure between this and #2 as #2 seems a bit sharper with more detail in the eyes but I'm happy with this as well. Here it is:

Pretty Fly
by Joel Spencer, on Flickr

I like the new one best. Focus spot on, plenty of detail and a good view of the proboscis.

Here is what it looks like with some deconvolution sharpening (done in Astra Image). It's always a matter of taste how much (if any!) of this sort of thing to apply of course.

NOT MY IMAGE - smr, Joel, Fly - Astra Image Deconvolution Sharpening 10,1,0.5
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Really nice sharp images Joel, not so sure on choice of compositions though. The second shot would be great if rotated clockwise and the 3rd anticlockwise, I can see what your trying to do but sometimes the obvious choice of composition is best!

Great start Joel

Really nice sharp images Joel, not so sure on choice of compositions though. The second shot would be great if rotated clockwise and the 3rd anticlockwise, I can see what your trying to do but sometimes the obvious choice of composition is best!
Thanks Neil, yes I know what you mean about the composition, that's why I rotated the last one but I hadn't thought of rotating the other two.

Nice set of close-ups nice and sharp
Thanks Jim

Great start Joel

Thanks Alf

I like the new one best. Focus spot on, plenty of detail and a good view of the proboscis.

Here is what it looks like with some deconvolution sharpening (done in Astra Image). It's always a matter of taste how much (if any!) of this sort of thing to apply of course.

Thanks very much Nick, definitely got a bit more 'pop' now. Nice work.

Back