First go in a studio

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
It's time to get another set of family portraits done. In the past I have gone to a pro but this time I am thinking of hiring a studio and having a go myself. I am a reasonable photographer but I have no experience with studio lighting setups (or any kind of strobism really). Is it realistic for me to read up on the subject and expect to come up with some reasonable photos, or is my first time in the studio likely to be learning experience only? Will I end up going to a pro after all? :shrug:

It's reasonable to expect to come up with fairly decent results after some reading and a little practice. The stunning 'pro' results come with good knowledge and experience, so it depends on which end result you're going to be happy with and how much time you have to put into it before the shoot.

Any descend studio that you can hire will have someone on hand to help you with the technical side of lighting. And its not nuclear physics so go for it, do you own photos.

What's the worst that can happen?

The results aren't what you wanted and you have to either, redo them, or go to a pro anyway...

Either way you're only going to lose a few quid on the studio hire, and as said above, most decent studios will have someone on hand to offer lighting assistance where needed anyway :)

is my first time in the studio likely to be learning experience only?

It certainly will be a learning experience, but i'm sure you will get a few keepers out of your time in there, you have one of Nikon's finest cameras, and two of Nikon's finest lenses, so just go for it, nothing whatsoever to lose, but certainly loads to gain :)

Thanks for all the encouragement, everyone! You've given me the confidence to give it a go. Just two more questions:

- Can anyone recommend a good studio, preferably in Herts or Beds, North or Central London if not?
- Any recommendations for suitable books?

Very excited now! :D

Back