Beginner First lens

Name
Tilly
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys
Having decided on buying a Canon 1100D as my first DSLR camera I'd like some advice on which lens to start with.
I'm looking at taking pics of plants, insects, birds etc. Things outside in nature really. Would I be best of starting with a kit lens or getting a 50mm prime lens? The camera I'm looking at buying is just the body.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks

50mm prime is a great lens, you can also use extension tubes (not an extender, that's a different thing) to get closer to subject matter if you want to do "macro" shots. A 50 also acts as a great portrait lens on a crop camera such as yours and will have a "fast" aperture too. All in all much better than a kit lens in terms of image quality and maximum aperture, it will also help to brighten your viewfinder as it lets in more light. It will however struggle to give you a large enough image of a bird, unless the bird is caged/tame/captive as you wont be able to get close enough for a large image without huge enlargement.
Matt

hi, that's quite a wishlist.
I would look at a 70-300mm lens which is labelled as 'macro'. to go alongside the kit lens
It's not really properly macro but this would get you closer to plants and insects and also give you some range for taking pictures of birds.

you're looking for range?
minimum focal distance or macro all at the same time.

Last edited:
hi, that's quite a wishlist.
I would look at a 70-300mm lens which is labelled as 'macro'. to go alongside the kit lens
It's not really properly macro but this would get you closer to plants and insects and also give you some range for taking pictures of birds.

you're looking for range?
minimum focal distance or macro all at the same time.
I would agree with this, if you want to do birds and small insects. Extension tubes would help too, 70-300 are much better focal lengths for working distances for macro. The 50mm 1.8 requires you to get very close and use extension tubes for macro work and isn't suitable for more jumpy insects.

Thanks for the suggestion about the 70-300mm lens guys, I'll look for one of these instead of prime lens then. With regards to the camera I plan on getting do you thing this is a good choice to start with? I can't afford anything more expensive but should I be looking at something cheaper to start out my photography with?

I wouldn't bother with the 70-300, but would suggest getting the Canon 55-250 stm. It's a good lens for the money. About £150 used from mpb (mpb photographic, are a used camera online store). It will focus quite closely for a medium telephoto zoom lens, so add to this some extension tubes and you should be able to get close to your subject. To be perfectly honest with you, you'll need to invest in some fairly serious lenses for proper wildlife photography, it's probably one of the most expensive genres of photography.

Thanks for the advice Nostromo. I'm not really sure what kind of photography I want to get into yet, probably not full on wildlife though

Go for the latest model stm kit lenses (18-55, 55-250), they are really very good - take them out, shoot with them and see how you go, then if you find a reason to upgrade *then* buy something you know you need.

If you fancy a go at macro, get a Raynox DCR 150 or 250 to stick on the end of your 55-250. Th whole lot will cost you less than 300 quid and you will be pleasantly surprised.

PS: the 50mm prime might be very limiting if you don't really know what you want to shoot. That's the beauty (and ultimately the point) of a kit lens - it gives you the ability to find your feet and experiment without investing a lot of cash. You may well want something else down the line, but you'll have a better idea of what that something is after using it.

Last edited:
Thanks fork, I'll do that

Go for the latest model stm kit lenses (18-55, 55-250), they are really very good - take them out, shoot with them and see how you go, then if you find a reason to upgrade *then* buy something you know you need.

If you fancy a go at macro, get a Raynox DCR 150 or 250 to stick on the end of your 55-250. Th whole lot will cost you less than 300 quid and you will be pleasantly surprised.

PS: the 50mm prime might be very limiting if you don't really know what you want to shoot. That's the beauty (and ultimately the point) of a kit lens - it gives you the ability to find your feet and experiment without investing a lot of cash. You may well want something else down the line, but you'll have a better idea of what that something is after using it.
This.
The kit lenses are remarkable VFM, get them and go shoot. Learn the limitations and move on from there.

Be aware there's no 'one lens fits all' solution, the reason cameras evolved into systems with multiple lenses is valid.

I'm no fan of the 50mm for a crop camera, it's too short for flattering portraits and too long for anything else.

fair point with the 55-250 STM.
I rather like the tamron 70-300mm VC from what I've seen also.
Having said this, I shoot with primes a great deal.
If you want to go prime but are on a serious budget, then Yungnuo do a cheapish 35mm which will be similar in field of view to a 50mm (on full frame).
lots of fun in my opinion. However, not as great for wildlife or close up shots

I've looked at the Tamron 70-300. Think I'll go with a 18-55 kit lens to start with and see how it feels. I'll look at other lenses when I've had a play with that and seen what it can do. Thanks for all the input guys it's really helped

I've looked at the Tamron 70-300. Think I'll go with a 18-55 kit lens to start with and see how it feels. I'll look at other lenses when I've had a play with that and seen what it can do. Thanks for all the input guys it's really helped

If you go for the kit lens, eglobal are doing them for about 70 quid. I paid 65 for one new with free delivery from the eglobal ebay shop (although they seem to have gone up a little since). Make sure you get the STM version.

Make sure you get the STM version.
When looking for the stm version, make sure stm is written on the lens. It's written on the rim around the glass element, on the end of the lens. I have seen lots of canon 18-55 lenses advertised as stm, that clearly aren't, on ebay.

If you are interested in photographing insects, it may be worth you looking into reverse lens mounting for macro photography.....that way you can get an old lens (eg. 50mm canon fd fit lens) on ebay and connect it to your camera with a reverse lens mount (again, can be bought cheaply on ebay). It's an inexpensive way to try macro photography but is quite difficult to get good images.

Thanks for the advice about STM and to check is on the lens, 2 of the ones I was considering buying didn't have it written on the end of the lens but we advertised as STM

If the lens is advertised as STM on eglobal will it be ok? Can't see the front of the lenses on the images online so just wanted to ask

Cool thanks

Having read reviews on eglobal in not sure about ordering from them. Some seem ok but loads day items never arrived

Thanks Nostromo, I've just been looking at that lens :). Plus the camera I'm looking at is from mpb so at least they'll arrive together so I can start taking pics straight away

I used to use the 1100d and 18-55stm lens, they do a good job. I still use the lens and still have the camera, the lens does a pretty good job. Enjoy them when they turn up.

Has anyone used the Tamron 55-200mm AF lens? I've just been looking at one on mpb while having a look at what they had for sale and wondered if it would be any good as an alternative to the Canon 55-200mm lens

Has anyone used the Tamron 55-200mm AF lens? I've just been looking at one on mpb while having a look at what they had for sale and wondered if it would be any good as an alternative to the Canon 55-200mm lens

One of my friends has one of those and I've never seen a sharp image come out of it. That said it could be down to him :D. But seriously, it's tempting to buy cheap lenses but they'll ultimately disappoint you and end up being wasted money in the end. The 55 - 250 really is worth the extra.

55 -250:

IMG_0895

IMG_0901

Last edited:
That's all I wanted to know Fork, I've nothing against spending the money on the Canon lens and getting a good piece of kit. I really like my 18-55mm Canon lens and I'm glad I bought the one I did after advice from you guys. I expected the Canon lens to be better than the Tamron one as its £75 more expensive I just want to ask that's all. Thanks again

The Canon 55-250 stm really is good value for money. That or the Tamron SP 70-300mm vc (A005).

I'll pick one of the Canon lenses up when I get paid next week. Thanks again for the advice guys

Thanks Dave. Whey did you switch to Fuji?

Hi guys
Having decided on buying a Canon 1100D as my first DSLR camera I'd like some advice on which lens to start with.
I'm looking at taking pics of plants, insects, birds etc. Things outside in nature really. Would I be best of starting with a kit lens or getting a 50mm prime lens? The camera I'm looking at buying is just the body.
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
A kit lens is for general photography (whatever that means) rather than the distinct areas that you've instanced. For close-ups including insects you really need a so-called macro lens, which can be fixed focal length - maybe a 105mm version because shorter ones will put you too close to the subject. Then you ought to consider whether you'll be using a tripod, and whether to use a flash rig for lighting.

For birds you'll need something much longer - in the 300 to 500mm range, say.

So there's a certain commitment involved, not least of the wallet. If this is all too much, consider a superzoom compact or bridge camera.

Last edited:
Thanks Dave. Whey did you switch to Fuji?

Reason I changed was I had the 1100D and 70D but nine lenses and the weight just became too much for my shoulder, as I have arthritis, for me it`s the best move I did. You will get some great shots with your 1100D as a good camera to use.

Back