First Light at Llyn Llydaw

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes

The first is my pick though a mid tones tweak down
would fiddle wonders!

These are all stunning, well done. #1 my fave.

An excellent set although I love No1 (y)

All lovely. Number 2 is my fave, great thinking composition.

I'd maybe pull back the yellows just a tad on the fiery bits.

Lovely set.

Last edited:
Lovely conditions and intruging conditions. Perhaps you've added too much structure/clarity/definition (depending on your processing suite) as theres a slightly harsh appearance to what are a lovely set of compositions and exposures.

Thanks for all the comments.

First impression....wow. A different slant on the usual shots including some of mine.

Rory, it is your local stuff, along with Nick's and Kevin's that inspires me the most and makes me long to return to Snowdonia when I am stuck at work. Whilst I don't have a problem with myself or other photographers taking pictures at classic views, for the reason that conditions are always different and processing varies along with the fact that if you want a picture of it, then take it, what I don't want to do is drive 5 hours and copy someone else shots. I'm pretty tempted to of your one with the old red barn and tree near Ffestiniog though!

Lovely conditions and intruging conditions. Perhaps you've added too much structure/clarity/definition (depending on your processing suite) as theres a slightly harsh appearance to what are a lovely set of compositions and exposures.

I probably have. Perhaps though it is partly down to the resizing. I use the high pass filter to sharpen and on the full res it looks fine. If you click though to the 1200px wide image on flickr that looks better and smoother to me than the smaller 1024px images here?

I probably have. Perhaps though it is partly down to the resizing. I use the high pass filter to sharpen and on the full res it looks fine. If you click though to the 1200px wide image on flickr that looks better and smoother to me than the smaller 1024px images here?

You;re right, it does look better, still at the harsher end, but not now excessively so. Risizing does have an effect on these things.

Nice, Craig.

They weren't taken on Thursday morning were they?

I ask because I made a different decision on Thursday morning and went up to Llyn Cwmffynnon . It turned out to have been the wrong decision as there was no sunrise light on Crib Goch. I was pretty peeved!

Thanks for all the comments.

Rory, it is your local stuff, along with Nick's and Kevin's that inspires me the most and makes me long to return to Snowdonia when I am stuck at work. Whilst I don't have a problem with myself or other photographers taking pictures at classic views, for the reason that conditions are always different and processing varies along with the fact that if you want a picture of it, then take it, what I don't want to do is drive 5 hours and copy someone else shots. I'm pretty tempted to of your one with the old red barn and tree near Ffestiniog though!

Thanks Craig. I'm glad I inspire somebody. Even living locally can be difficult at times by just finding time to get out and about so hats off to you in taking the gamble with the 5 hr drive !

If you are interested my cousin has just opened a new bunkhouse at Llan Ffestiniog

http://www.treksbunkhouse.co.uk/gallery

Slap bang in the middle of Snowdonia ;-)

Not sure about the red barn that you mention?

Jerry, it was Monday mate, you have some nice stuff on your website by the way.

Cheers for the link Rory we were camping this time so a warm bed might be nice in future! Well maybe not a red barn but a rusty roof. It is a shot with the Moelwyn in the background with the damn, and looking at your cousins bunkhouse location it would be taken from near there. Basically the next road up leaving Ffestiniog towards Cwm Teigl looking back to the left...

Cheers for the link Rory we were camping this time so a warm bed might be nice in future! Well maybe not a red barn but a rusty roof. It is a shot with the Moelwyn in the background with the damn, and looking at your cousins bunkhouse location it would be taken from near there. Basically the next road up leaving Ffestiniog towards Cwm Teigl looking back to the left...

I'm kind of relieved it wasn't Thursday. All too often I seem to be in the wrong place at the right time......!

Pen-y-pass YHA is perfectly situated for an early morning start up Snowdon. No need to be a member; £15 a night mid-week but more at weekends.

Ahh, That's Heddwyn's barn :)

I'm kind of relieved it wasn't Thursday. All too often I seem to be in the wrong place at the right time......!

Pen-y-pass YHA is perfectly situated for an early morning start up Snowdon. No need to be a member; £15 a night mid-week but more at weekends.
Last time I stayed was £25. A night checking in Sat leaving Sun. But my havnt YHA changed! Really nice compared to years ago! But I'd certainly give Rory's bunk house a go.

Uumm just found my YHA old yellow card 1970 wonder if it's still valid:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Very nice Craig, a nice set and would go with No.2 being my choice with the sprinkles of colours along the tops. The beauty of landscape photography when it comes together like this.

Craig that's a lovely set! I'm struggling between No1 & 2 but think No 2 has it No 3 the golden splash of light, although I love it is just a tad too unbalancing for my eye having said that I'd would have been very pleased with any of the set! It's hard to compete if that the right word with the Welsh boys ;) but I think you have definitely given a good account for yourself:)(y)
Cracking shots with fantastic light and composition, Craig really love them!

Thanks Paul and Bonni, yes is is hard to complete with the locals but it can also be more difficult/annoying for them I guess when work or other commitments keep them away from photography!

Nice ones!, excellent timing with the light...man, I got to get up earlier!. Lovely work

Fantastic colour and light, your timing is spot on.

Back