First Moon picture since I got my RA motor

Nice. But surely the RA motor doesn't really contribute?

It helped while focussing. I didn't have to keep stopping and adjusting the moons position. The Bahtinov mask probably helped more though. It's the quickest I've ever managed to gain a decent focus. Normally takes me 15 minutes, this time it took me about 2!

Fair point! I hadn't thought of that.

I guess there's a direct analogy with using an image stabilized lens for handheld action photography such as sports. The IS doesn't help the image directly because the shutter speed will generally be too fast for camera shake to be a problem. But the IS does help you keep the lens on target, which makes the autofocus more accurate.

Very very nice quality.(y)

A bahtinov mask is the biggest advantage for focus that I know of! A great moon shot - Well done!! :)

Thanks, I've just got to get to grips with Polar alignment now. Hoping to attach my camera straight to the mount now and try some starfield imagine. I know my setup isn't the best, but it is what I've always wanted to try. :)

Thanks, I've just got to get to grips with Polar alignment now. Hoping to attach my camera straight to the mount now and try some starfield imagine. I know my setup isn't the best, but it is what I've always wanted to try. :)

Then all you need some clear sky when you time to take some photos... I've had a P-Aligner since April and used it once :(

Nice moon shot BTW

This is the first time I've been able to use my new RA motor on my Skywatcher 130P. Also used my Bahtinov Mask for the first time. Focus seems better than previously.
Please excuse my ignorance here. I frequent the bird forum, but I also have a habit of pointing the camera/lens skyward when the birds have gone to bed.

This is the kind of thing I get from my driveway at night, hand-held. I have no idea what an RA motor is, or a skywatcher, or a mask. What am I missing please?

22326_976230619063347_2057673769336449865_n.jpg

Please excuse my ignorance here. I frequent the bird forum, but I also have a habit of pointing the camera/lens skyward when the birds have gone to bed.

This is the kind of thing I get from my driveway at night, hand-held. I have no idea what an RA motor is, or a skywatcher, or a mask. What am I missing please?

22326_976230619063347_2057673769336449865_n.jpg

That's a great image, nice contrast and detail. I have never been able to get one like that handheld, partly because I don't really have any decent lenses. I got the telescope initially for lunar photography. It means I effectively have a high quality 1300mm lens for a fraction of the cost The downside to this is that it can only be used for night photography and can only be manually focused. All the things I mentioned help me achieve the best possible focus. I look forward to checking out your other images.

Now I have the RA motor I hope to take some long exposure starfield images. This motor keeps my scope tracking stars, so means they won't trail across my image.

Thanks for enlightening me Jason. So you strap the camera onto a telescope and the motor tracks the stars. I get that, but what's the mask thing?:thinking:

Just for info, my image was taken at 1000mm F8 at the end of April. I find it's MUCH easier shooting the moon than shootling birds - the moon is always easy to find and it doesn't move just as you are about to press the shutter! :D

I just nip out to the driveway (often in a dressing gown!), lift the lens and press the shutter. It's just as well that I live in a rural location. Creeping about in a dressing gown with a big telephoto lens probably wouldn't go down well in a town/city!!!:eek:

This has the info. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahtinov_mask It basicallt produces a diffraction pattern that cross perfectly when you have focus. You then just remove the mask and shoot.

I love taking moon images. Every night is subtly different. It looks even better when you just look through an eyepiece.

I've been out in the town centre before at 11+ at night setting up for pictures of the International Space Station and have got a number of funny looks!

I've been out in the town centre before at 11+ at night setting up for pictures of the International Space Station and have got a number of funny looks!
My point was about the dressing gown thing though........ I bet you were suitably dressed for that shoot! ;)

Re my contribution...

Printed a superb picture onto photo paper but the image uploaded looks dull as ditchwater. May have uploaded wrong image I suppose.

Mi

Back