First nature shots of squirrel

Name
Ross
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks.

First off, I'm more or less a complete beginner at photography. But have now bought a body and 2 lenses (one still in the post) and also have access to my girlfriends lenses.

Today was my first venture outside to practice. Took around 130 shots and I think this was the best of the lot.

Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Taken on a Nikon D90 with a manual Tokina 28mm. ISO@200 F2.8

First outing.jpg

… would this stimulate an idea Ross? ;)

First%20outing.jpg

which program did you use.

UK made Affinity Photo… I discovered it
when I stopped using any Adobe products.

I use it when I need, like here, a pixel editor,
IMO, the perfect replacement and very powerful.

Squirrels are great subjects and can easily pose for a few nuts. I'm impressed you got it so large in the frame with only a 28mm lens!

The only advice I can say is getting to the animals eye level makes for an interesting image. There is of course room for environmental images in a portfolio of images but eye level with good eye contact between you and the animal makes a big impact and entices the viewer to look in more detail. For some animals getting eye level isn't a problem, for the smaller animals it often means crawling in mud. It's worth it when you get a great image. Keep on practicing and I'm sure you will enjoy it more and more.

There is the saying about 'getting it right in camera', although this isn't entirely true I would say don't think about removing a fence from in front of an animal in post processing to save an image. When you are taking the image think about the backgrounds and environment. A few steps to the left or right can often improve the background and remove distracting elements and saves needing to remove it in post.

Last edited:
Just wondering why you had to shoot through a fence, which obviously don't make for good photographs. With creatures that are quite happy near human company it is always worth while taking your time and moving / looking for the best position from which to shoot

Just wondering why you had to shoot through a fence, which obviously don't make for good photographs. With creatures that are quite happy near human company it is always worth while taking your time and moving / looking for the best position from which to shoot

It wasn't too confident about coming the other side of the fence, no matter how many nuts I bribed it with. I got a couple but the wern't as sharp as this. And it was fenced all the way round the small amount of grass we have in Islington.

UK made Affinity Photo… I discovered it
when I stopped using any Adobe products.

I use it when I need, like here, a pixel editor,
IMO, the perfect replacement and very powerful.

Plus one for this software! Also affinity designer is not bad either, but more graphics!

"It wasn't too confident about coming the other side of the fence, no matter how many nuts I bribed it with. I got a couple but the wern't as sharp as this. And it was fenced all the way round the small amount of grass we have in Islington."

Grey squirrels are amongst the easiest subjects to work with in the UK. However regardless of species good results require time and effort and excellent results require dedication as well as knowledge of the subject and a modicum of luck and thats before you get to grips with the camera!

Good luck

Regen

Back