Critique First "non-friend" shoot.

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
No
Any comments welcomed good or bad.

Quality of the photo's isn't good as had to do a snip-it rather than upload the original file.

ThanksChristina 1.JPG Christina 2.JPG

Cool, well done!

I prefer the processing, hair and enigmatic expression in the 2nd.

It's not necessary but you could play with getting the light a little higher and adding a reflector below to lift the resulting shadows.

Thanks Simon, I did have a reflector under the chin in line with her chest however I thought that the jaw line needed a little lift so I dodged and burned under the chin a little. The bottom of the softbox was about level with the top of her head, I should have experimented more and changed it's position.

Thanks Simon, I did have a reflector under the chin in line with her chest however I thought that the jaw line needed a little lift so I dodged and burned under the chin a little. The bottom of the softbox was about level with the top of her head, I should have experimented more and changed it's position.

I'd misread the lighting - perhaps get both softbox & reflector a little closer rather than a little higher? Unless you like it as is - in which case leave it!

I'd have liked a little more shadow on the cheeks TBH.

That's much better thanks Steven, sometimes with B&W I tend to stay on the darker side rather than lightening them up. Maybe I'm worrying about blown highlights.

What I like of the first take is the higher chin.
As it reveals better the bone structure of her
very nice face and renders a more flattering
aspect of the nose.

A "non-friend"? She should be now with this
fine portrait.

I like these and I like the high contrast of the second image, its the style I tend to go for but its very much a case of preference. All in though you should be really pleased with these, they look great.

I like these and I like the high contrast of the second image, its the style I tend to go for but its very much a case of preference. All in though you should be really pleased with these, they look great.

What I like of the first take is the higher chin.
As it reveals better the bone structure of her
very nice face and renders a more flattering
aspect of the nose.

A "non-friend"? She should be now with this
fine portrait.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

She has an interesting face and bone structure
Her eye contact is with you, rather than the lens.
I am sure that there are better shots to be had, with better poses and lighting.
keep up the good work.

Back