Beginner first pic post

Edit My Images
Yes
hi all, this is my first post on this site...

im a total newbie to this and just starting out on my path into photography hence why this was taken on my smart phone, just about to begin the daunting task of deciding what route camera wise to take. Any critism welcome but don't be to harsh will me :)
Bunch of rooms by Lee Hayes, on Flickr

Looks fair dinkum Lee, No crit I am afraid but some camera phones are extremely capable these days and in many ways more versatile than a lot of cameras with waterproofing and video capture. I love my Samsung S5 for just those reasons :)

a big welcome to you lee..

you have a good eye...physically and your shot is making use of a diagonal...up is happy down is sad...so they say
yours is sad...relatively most everything else is ok..

now you have to get a piece of equipment to help you make the best of it..
i get by with 4/3 micro dslr and you will see or get all sorts of suggestions based on what the chaps here actually own themselves
a camera which isnt too heavy to carry and being 2017 one with a good sensor which will give detail in shadows..on iso's up to at least 800
more costs more...

the camera will probably come with a kit lens and if you cant get good results with one of those...you are not trying hard enough and using the lenses attributes
post processing is where most of us live...the world of phantasy and cheating...where shots become unique and personal
consider some way forward with a freebie download of how to correct your shots...if they need it
i first used PhotoFiltre...and still do for quicky adjustments...my other stuff is off ebay and sufficient for my needs
time magazine have rejected all my proposals but the chaps here on TP are decent and will do the same with less agression..and a few likes

no crit on the shot...really its too early for us to wade in with all sorts of telling you what your shot needs to be to satisfy our jealousy..:D

really you will gain great advantage by reading a bit on composition and the relationships of speed and aperture..which will bring you to depth of field
my advice is dont let the camera supply all the information
an adage coined by the phamous fotografer..mrtoad
CC
crop and clone...this will eliminate most of the distractions in a shot unless it was a studio set up
more to come when i have my horlicks..
cheers
geof

cheers or the crit guys, wasn't expecting such an in depth response from a quick pic I took on a phone camera.....heres just a couple more, they are straight from the phone with no messing about with, think that will come later, for starters I just want to see if the composition is ok
Ipswich docks by Lee Hayes, on Flickr

Sunset in the alps by Lee Hayes, on Flickr

cheers or the crit guys, wasn't expecting such an in depth response from a quick pic I took on a phone camera.....heres just a couple more, they are straight from the phone with no messing about with, think that will come later, for starters I just want to see if the composition is ok
Ipswich docks by Lee Hayes, on Flickr

Sunset in the alps by Lee Hayes, on Flickr
Are these taken using instagram? They look like they have been "filtered".
The first one is definitely one of the better angles there, shooting from the other side has a much less interesting backdrop.

Are these taken using instagram? They look like they have been "filtered".
The first one is definitely one of the better angles there, shooting from the other side has a much less interesting backdrop.

Yeah both taken off my instagram so thinking back prob have been messed about in some way,
sounds like you know Ipswich too, as you say the wine rack isn't the most attractive thing down the dock

Welcome Lee! :cool:

You may consider mid tonal taming as suggested here…

first%20post.jpg

@Dave70D cheers, nice to know my first attempts at photography aint totally garbage

also @mrtoad thanks, some good advise, glad you think the pic isnt a total duffer too, as you say the more technical stuff i can learn the more i get into it, just need to start taking the pics and see if as you say, i have an eye for it...

@Dave70D cheers, nice to know my first attempts at photography aint totally garbage

also @mrtoad thanks, some good advise, glad you think the pic isnt a total duffer too, as you say the more technical stuff i can learn the more i get into it, just need to start taking the pics and see if as you say, i have an eye for it...

@Lee..ready to help

Last edited:
Back