Critique First portrait session with film

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

Excited to share my first portrait session with my new film camera. All credit to Gareth for inspiring me to give it a go (link).

Taken with a Nikon f100 and porta 400.

I have edited them in photoshop, but I've included one straight out of the camera so you can see my exposure.

I was very unsuccessful with my BW images from a test shoot, and I'll post / link them here.

Any tips welcome - I was interested to see how my exposure would cope with open skies etc. I shared 16 out of 36 frames with the non-model.

The model is a friend of the family, so no CC on her please.

#1 Unedited
F100 Nikon | Porta 400 by M@ndy, on Flickr

#3 I had the reflector too strong here - it was almost the first image of the session

Last edited:
#4 is superb!

It's as if the others all lead to that one. It really stands out. The brown scarf is inspired for that particular palette.

Your friend is rather gorgeous BTW.

Number 4 is gorgeous. Really is a stand out image. Well done :clap:

I also like the intense look in no 3... an extremely successful set, I'd say. If that's your "test roll", well then, roll on, please!

I also like the intense look in no 3...

+1
I appreciate the fill-in glow in that shot: discrete but adding a very fine touch… of magic.

Fab wouldnt have a clue with the film camera :)

Gaz

:agree: with what Kodiak said, although I'd maybe crop a bit either side to tighten up the composition. This shot works way better for me due to the lack of sky, since I think the sky detracts from the overall effect in #4.

Only just seen these, Amanda. Thank you for the kind words. :)

These are excellent. Lovely model too. I kept going back through and can't choose a favourite, they are all really lovely. I don't mind the sky in number 4 at all.

I hope you will shoot more portraits now on film as these are fab.

Thanks one and all!

For those of you who follow me, I'm relieved that my 'style' translated into film and I'm eager to start a new journey with film. I have so many questions to explore.

Out of interest I used ag film to process the photos. I'd read some poor reviews here, but I found their service quick and easy.

I'm going to post my BW photos on a separate thread now and throw in a cheeky digital verson with a crazy fashion edit. Both film and digital images from this series are on my website, but I don't want to link bait.

Amanda Herbert Photography by M@ndy, on Flickr

Last edited:
A stunning set, one of the very best set of film portraits I have seen. No 4 is just wonderful.

You have a wonderful and obviously patient model, but photographically No. 4 leaps off the screen. Superb for a first film session.(y)

You have a wonderful and obviously patient model, but photographically No. 4 leaps off the screen. Superb for a first film session.(y)
Very patient [emoji4] My sessions can easily last two and a half hours. I had to stop myself doing winter shoots last year because the models were blue and I only noticed once I'd started photoshopping them!

I love them all. Natural, she looks great, well exposed and well composed. Well done Amanda.

Fabulous images - this is 35mm film right? I have not shot a roll of 35mm film in something like 10 years+. Did you get ag film to scan the negatives?

I'm happy to share my approach with you, if that's what you mean? We can have a coffee, share a shoot with a model (you pay/arrange the model) or I'll deliver a workshop with a model / a family member / myself as a model. But Lawd I'm ugly. My only constraint is time.

I have no spare cash to enrol on a workshop! If that's what you mean?

Fabulous images - this is 35mm film right? I have not shot a roll of 35mm film in something like 10 years+. Did you get ag film to scan the negatives?

Yes - it's 35mm and I used my 50m D lens / 100 macro. So it was a cheap entry into exploring film. The camera cost £150ish from camera world. I can use most of my nikon lenses so there is no further investment.

AG were fast. I like their free post bags.

I'm happy to share my approach with you, if that's what you mean? We can have a coffee, share a shoot with a model (you pay/arrange the model) or I'll deliver a workshop with a model / a family member / myself as a model. But Lawd I'm ugly. My only constraint is time.

I have no spare cash to enrol on a workshop! If that's what you mean?

I meant you deliver the workshop tbh! I will drop you a PM so it saves your thread from being ruined. (y)

:plus1: Pretty certain you would get a following to fill a room based on those shots.

Back