First Proper Play with my Tamron 90mm Macro - Some flowers

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Below are a couple of shots using my new Tamron 90mm Macro. I am new to macro stuff so it will be interesting to see what feedback I get.

Hope you like,

Cheers

Rob

1)
3642129266_04f926d7d2.jpg

2)
3641315195_16ca205579.jpg

Last edited:
I like both of these very much. I have been looking at getting a macro lens how does the Tamron feel so far?

Andy

Cheers mate, glad you like them.
I absolutely love the lens mate, it's a dream. It's my first fast prime and it's great for potraits as well as macro work.

Cheers mate, glad you like them.
I absolutely love the lens mate, it's a dream. It's my first fast prime and it's great for potraits as well as macro work.

Had my Tammy 90 just over a week and totally agree :love::love:

Anyone else with any thoughts on the shots?

Help and tips greatly appreciated!

Nice shots, I really like the first with with the depth of field. You've got enough in sharp focus for it to look good. I find a lot of macro shots people dont stop down enough and you end up with a very small amount in focus and the rest very blurred. I think I would of tried to rotate the camera around a bit more so the stem went into the bottom right corner, this would also of put the lines on the opposite side into the corner although thats more a personal preferance really.

The second shot is really sharp although it seems a bit overexposed to me and the general subject isnt as asthetic as the first.

Thanks for your thoughts there. I have to say, I prefer the first.

I wonder if a tighter crop on the flower might help the 2nd one, and your right, it is looking a tad over exposed.

I think maybe a square crop then raise the levels greypoint to darken the mid tones which should help bring out a lot more colour too.

Looks like a nice sharp copy of the lens you have, all I will say is be aware of the focal plane and try and get it to lay on your subject to get the best out of the shot, the more you magnify the narrower the dof. Try not to stop-down beyond f16 or you images will get softer due to the effects of diffraction. Enjoy you lens and looking forward to seeing more ;)

I like the colours, and the composition of the 2nd is really nice. Can't really help with the technical aspects as I never ever do Macro.

Gary.

Thanks AJ, Gary and Mole. Sorry for not replying sooner, its been a busy few days!

Glad that poeple like them, the square crop for the 2nd is one I'll try soon.

I know your into landscapes Gary, and you produce stunning ones at that, but I'd recommend a play with macro, its great fun. Its still all relatively new to me, but I am loving playing so far.

Thanks AJ, Gary and Mole. Sorry for not replying sooner, its been a busy few days!

Glad that poeple like them, the square crop for the 2nd is one I'll try soon.

I know your into landscapes Gary, and you produce stunning ones at that, but I'd recommend a play with macro, its great fun. Its still all relatively new to me, but I am loving playing so far.

I have a nice macro lens kicking about, Sigma 180mm. Just never got into it, might have another play at some point. Dedicate a day to it each month.

Gary.

Sounds like a "EdinburgGary's Macro 12" thread coming up!:D

Love the 1st one :)

Just a quick q, are these hand held or tripod and did you use a flash? also what settings did you use? I've got a siggy 105 and all of my macro stuff has been hand held so far without a flash so I can't really stop down that far or the shutter speed drops too low :(

Very nice Rob, the first takes it for me. That's really good results for first go at this stuff.

The settings were as follows,

1) F11, Shutter 1/180, ISO 100 and using flash. flash was wireless using Samsungs wirless flash system, and I held the flash as close to the lily as I could, camera top left.

2) Again, F11, Shutter 1/180, ISO 100. Two flashes used this time, the Samsung wirless system driving the Samsung flash, and I had a jessops flash on full power using its optical slave to trigger it. I help the flases flush with the lens hood, camera left and right.

Both shots were on a tripod. For a number of reasons. Mainly as I find it far easier to compose the shot on a tripod for macro. It also meant my hands were free to play with flash positions.

Very nice Rob, the first takes it for me. That's really good results for first go at this stuff.

Thanks John, pleased you like them. The first is my favourite out of the two, so much so I am printing it to hang on my wall. My wife to be loves it too.

Back