first steps in to the world of film..

Name
matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello

I saw a minolta x300 35mm film camera in a charity shop window for £20 today and thought what the heck! I managed to get them down to £15 for it too. I'm not sure if this was a good deal or not but I don't really care.

I've been wanting to try using film since I first picked up a camera, (digital), so this would be a cheap way to try it out. If I can't get to grips with it then I have not lost a bucket load of cash.

Partly the reason for this purchase is to help me learn what settings are needed just by looking at a scene or subject and I want it to become second nature rather than just chimping then adjusting all the time...:LOL:

Now I understand the basic principles of exposure, aperture and shutter speeds etc. but using digital with built in light metre and histograms etc I really am a noob when it comes to film.

Any help would be a great help. On-line resources would be preferred as I probably won't be buying book's, not yet anyway.

So I guess my first question is does anyone know of an on-line manual or documents that I can read for this camera? there are no batteries in it and I can't even seem to get the back open!!!!!:bang:

Thanks in advance

Matt

To get the back open try pulling (gently) the winder that should be on the top of the camera. There is usually a little flip up winder on there somewhere and if you lift it up it often has the release mechanism built in.

so it does! I did think that in the first place but when i tried it didn't budge, it's a-bit sticky but it worked... yipee first lesson over.:LOL:

It turns out there is some film in it!! I opened it and then shut it quickly, is that roll now cream crackered because I opened it? I wonder what pictures it had/has on it? :thinking::p

It turns out there is some film in it!! I opened it and then shut it quickly, is that roll now cream crackered because I opened it? I wonder what pictures it had/has on it?

Usually only ruins abot four frames.

Steve.

Hello

I saw a minolta x300 35mm film camera in a charity shop window for £20 today and thought what the heck! I managed to get them down to £15 for it too. I'm not sure if this was a good deal or not but I don't really care.

Bloody hell mate, how cheap are you haggling in a charity shop. :LOL:
well done though

I'm not sure it even works so I would say sensible!! Put new batteries in turned it on and nothing!

Do you ask for change when you put money in a charity box :D

Back