First time out with the Canon 80D - Trucks & BTCC @ Brands Hatch 2016

Name
Az
Edit My Images
No
Hello again! Thought I'd share a few pics/thoughts on the new Canon 80D camera, which I got my hands on last weekend. I used it with the 100-400 II at the Trucks and with the 400 2.8II at BTCC on Saturday and 24-70 F4 on Sunday.

#1 Rallycrossing (80D w/ 100-400 II)
Trucks_Brands_Hatch_28-03-16_AE_050.jpg

#2 Monster (80D w/ 100-400 II)
Trucks_Brands_Hatch_28-03-16_AE_210.jpg

#3 Close up at 2.8 (80D w/ 400 2.8 II)
BTCC_Brands_Hatch_02-04-16_AE_004.jpg

#4 Honda fest (80D w/ 400 2.8 II)
BTCC_Brands_Hatch_02-04-16_AE_019.jpg

#5 The grid was shaping up nicely (80D w/ 24-70 F4)
BTCC_Brands_Hatch_03-04-16_AE_098.jpg

#6 About to GO (80D w/ 24-70 F4)
BTCC_Brands_Hatch_03-04-16_AE_102.jpg

First impressions are it handles really well, like the 70D. Menu's easy to use and customise. AF seems a little bit faster. To me at least the ISO performance seems better, particularly at 400 and above. I still wouldn't push much more than 2000 though. Dynamic range seems better too, i.e when shooting into sun or with harsh dark/bright scenes. I would say a nice update to the 70D - as before the Wifi is handy and works well with my Android phone. Anyway thanks for looking, again sorry about the watermark, it's the batch process so it stays. If you have any questions about the 80D please ask away. C&C always welcome.

Very much chosen this pics at random so if you like to see more then you can here - Trucks = http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/28-03-2016-trucks-brands-hatch-photos/ BTCC Sat = http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/02-04-2016-btcc-brands-hatch-photos/ BTCC Sun = http://www.ae-photography.co.uk/albums/03-04-2016-btcc-brands-hatch-photos/

Cheers
Az

The large watermark in the centre of all shots affects
negatively the enjoyment of your work for me.

That watermark is really annoying but a good set of images in general. Nice to see you're using your new camera already!

Yup have to agree, there may be a good photo hidden behind that watermark but who knows...

Nice images. People moan about watermarks but I bet they would also moan if they had their images nicked off Flickr!! What I'd like to know about the 80D is why so soon after the 7D II? I think it would be good if Canon worked on a newer entry level full frame camera TBH.

Nice images. People moan about watermarks but I bet they would also moan if they had their images nicked off Flickr!! What I'd like to know about the 80D is why so soon after the 7D II? I think it would be good if Canon worked on a newer entry level full frame camera TBH.

I'd only moan if they were worth anything ;)

Yeh sorry chaps the watermark is an ar5e but it stays, personally I don't think it's too too distracting, I've tried to keep it fairly subtle/transparent but still enough to prevent people using my work without authorisation/credit (that's the objective). Unfortunately photography forums are one please where it's easy to steel work, sad I know, but I've seen even top teams and agencies do it (happened to me before and others I know) ! I wish I could post without but I'm not going to risk it so please try to see through it if you can. If you have any suggestions about it I would be glad to hear, I don't see what else I can do though.

Mike, I do think the 80D leaves the 7D2 in a strange place. I had two 7D2's when first released and just didn't get on with either - I think mine must've been affected by AF problems as found them inconsistent when tracking. I think 5D4 is probably coming in the next 4-6 months, that'll be a full frame and then probably after that an entry level replacement for the 6D. But who knows with Canon they keep things quite close to their chest.

Cheers, think I'm pretty happy with the 80D so far. Probably once price comes down to around £750 that's where it should be priced.

Really like 2 out of these never thought of cropping out part of the subject but the fact that its a Monster Truck with huge wheels and teeth around the wheel arch bursting into frame from one corner works for me and a nice catch with the Halfords Hondas got the same shot on Saturday

Great images as always, the 80D looks good. I have no problem with the watermarks. I have had my 7D2 for about a year now, and have found that the focus can be a bit hit and miss, changing from a pentax k5-2 I think part of the issue might be the amount of focus points, I find that with the single centre point selected you need to be very exact in keeping the point on target. Using the expanded focus points helps. I can also say that the Pentax k5-2 which I still own, has a better dynamic range than the canon 7D2, of course the canon is much quicker in focusing, and is better at higher ISO settings.

I like No5 (cough cough) :whistle:

Back