first time street photography

like what do you do if someone freaks out at you??

They won't ... at most you're likely to get a frown, then just smile ... in fact smile anyway :D

I'm just about to start myself. i'll let you know how i'm going.

As a first go I would think you will feel more comfortable with the zoom ... then if you get brave try the 50mm.

You can do what you like in public area but you might get a handbag in the face from the mum;)

Just pick your moments and read what people are doing. That way you can select your shot rather than rifling off 100 frames in the hope of getting something :)

Read up on photographing in public and know what you are allowed and not allowed to shoot. Typically kids and government buildings are off limits.

barrylau said:
Just pick your moments and read what people are doing. That way you can select your shot rather than rifling off 100 frames in the hope of getting something :)

Read up on photographing in public and know what you are allowed and not allowed to shoot. Typically kids and government buildings are off limits.

No they aren't; apart from a very few MoD properties, some nuclear power stations and naked 5-year-olds doing the splits.

Personally, I'm a fan of the Peter Turnley school of thought on street photography - use a moderate wide lens (24, 28, 35) and get in close. I find the results much more engaging than the "person's head looking the other way with no background or context" that you get by using a tele. And, almost counter-intuitively, I feel using a wide is a far more honest and up-front way to go about things - when the camera is right in front of someone, they know what you're going. Spying with a tele could be seen as somewhat sneaky. It really depends what results you want - head shots or environmental portraits. I'd go for the environmental portrait any day of the week:

Bigg market by martsharm, on Flickr

There's a great book by Thomas Leuthard named 'going candid' has really good tips and tricks in there, and it's free!

i find that asking a person if they would mind or take the photo then show them what you have done most people wont mind be a bit careful when it comes to children you dont want to have the police on your back good luck

i find that asking a person if they would mind or take the photo then show them what you have done most people wont mind be a bit careful when it comes to children you dont want to have the police on your back good luck

But thats not the art of Street Photography its meant to be candid

I use a 35mm and hold the camera by my side and shoot from the hip , i dont always get the framing right but i usually manage to take images this way unnoticed

Yeah but everyone hears the mirror slap, or do you mean point and shoot, youll get more failures, shooting that way than keepers, for me just take composed shots,

Good luck,

I cannot for the life if me get the courage to do street photography.

Damn annoying at times.

The more you do the less intimidating it gets Andy, just think when we were at NMA how many peps bothered if they were in shot? "none" same on the streetish, theres certain dont shoots you just got to choose, who and when, for me, be selective

Last edited:
Yeah but everyone hears the mirror slap, or do you mean point and shoot, youll get more failures, shooting that way than keepers, for me just take composed shots,

I shoot from my waist so there are some failed images but when im walking in a busy town centre the sound of the mirror is drowned out by the sounds of the street

Shooting disable or impair people is the one you have to really careful, they can take it badly.
Very fat people same story, they can feel you mock them or point at them like there abnormal.
I shoot a lot of street photography for the last 5 year and have work up slowly the courage to take shot and now ii'm a lot more confident.
Smiling, chatting and engaging difficult subject help a lot and most people don't mind anyway.
Sometimes the shot is so good you don't even think anymore of consequence and just shoot.
My nikon F6 is so loud they cant miss it :)
My favourite way of working is standing at corner or junction and wait for the prey to pass.
Best excuse is i'm doing a project for university and i never get a refusal.
Favourite photographer
Rinzi Rocco Ruiz

I use a 35mm and hold the camera by my side and shoot from the hip , i dont always get the framing right but i usually manage to take images this way unnoticed

Bruce Gilden did(does?) a similar thing. His all use flash too, I think so people quickly realise what he's up to. He's done some very funny/interesting shots like this.

I'm like some of the others on here - not sure I'd have the nerve - but it's an interesting topic.

Bruce Gilden did(does?) a similar thing. His all use flash too, I think so people quickly realise what he's up to. He's done some very funny/interesting shots like this.

I'm like some of the others on here - not sure I'd have the nerve - but it's an interesting topic.

I've seen the Youtube video's, I personally feel he jumps in a bit too aggressively, he's probably had LOTS of confrontations. He was quite short and rude with a number of people..... BUT then he wouldn't get the shots he gets if not for his aggressive style. It only takes seconds for people to go from "wtf" to "im going to kill you" to "hey I think i'll just smile".

I am in the same category...I would love to do it but too nervous...have been out with the camera and a telephoto but too scared to shoot...maybe next time some whiskey first

I'm literally on route back from Manchester after a day out shooting street. I was confronted after firing only my 3rd shot of the day by a lady selling roses - she was walking round selling them and was a quite Yorktown looking lady. Her English wasn't great but when she asked "see photo" i duly obliged and said 'street photography' (panicked a Bit really!) Not really understanding what she was saying I deleted the photo right in front of her and that was that, she was fine and thanked me and moved on. First of many confrontations I'm sure.

How dod my day fi? well, I promised myself I wouldn't take any pics of a. people on their phone or b. on a bench/sat down. Trouble is, I noticed today anyway, is that EVERYONE seems to walk with their phone in their hand.
Also got a better hit rate today when actually stood still and letting people walk into the frame as opposed to going round and taking pictures of people as you pass them by..........as Gok Wan says "it's all about the confidence"

I am a big wuss and froze every time when I first started trying to shoot in the street. I went for the longish lens option for the first few times. Then I got hold of a 35mm lens and because it is such a good lens it was a waste not to use it, so I took a deep breath and went for it.

Now I click away with no worries. I am however mindful not to snap children as it has the potential to make all parties a little uncomfortable.

Up to now I've not had a single adverse reaction, even when I get a look like this.

NIK_0922 by Dan Gleebitz, on Flickr

I did have a bit of an uh oh moment here, but the guy just nodded at me and squeezed past in the crowd.

They won't ... at most you're likely to get a frown, then just smile ... in fact smile anyway :D

well, I think that depends. Some people just love to be focused while others prefer to live their life without people disturb...

maybe photographer who doing street photography should ask before he point their camera at people? just a thought...

Back