First time time lapse and video

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone

Having been out the past few nights photographing the stars I thought I would try something that I have been meaning to try for a while.

This is the first time I have done any kind of time lapse or video but will be something that I intend doing more of in the future. And comments or input for the future would be great.

A Welsh trail to the stars take 2

Thanks in advance

Mark

there are in fact three short time lapse sequences in there as well (leading into each of the star trails shots). As I say this is something I have not done before and is a testing ground for some larger stuff in the future.

For me the time-lapse sequences need to be two or three times longer at least to have more impact on the overall video, at the moment they can easily be missed as stills if you don't concentrate. Good potential though....

Thanks for the replies. This is the very first time I had done anything like this.

I will having another go at some timelapse and video so I can try and get to grips with it before I go away in july.

Thanks everyone

Crop your images to 16:9 so they fill the whole video frame, makes it look much better :)

You need more frames per second to make it look smoother.

Let say you want to make a 10 second time-lapse.

I would aim for 12 separate shots for every second (when played back) or if you want to be ambitious and want a really lovely looking time lapse go for 24.

So at 12 you need 120 stills
And at 24 you need 240 stills

Ive never done a timelapse of the stars (can see hardly any where I live...) but I usually set the camera to take a still from 1 to 10 seconds. Closer to 1 if there is a lot of movement like people on a busy street, closer to 10 if its of say slow moving clouds overhead. You might have to do larger intervals for the stars.

Hope that helped :)

Crop your images to 16:9 so they fill the whole video frame, makes it look much better :)

Thanks I will do so in future.

You need more frames per second to make it look smoother.

Let say you want to make a 10 second time-lapse.

I would aim for 12 separate shots for every second (when played back) or if you want to be ambitious and want a really lovely looking time lapse go for 24.

So at 12 you need 120 stills
And at 24 you need 240 stills

Ive never done a timelapse of the stars (can see hardly any where I live...) but I usually set the camera to take a still from 1 to 10 seconds. Closer to 1 if there is a lot of movement like people on a busy street, closer to 10 if its of say slow moving clouds overhead. You might have to do larger intervals for the stars.

Hope that helped :)

Thanks for the info. The biggest issue here is light, those shots are all 30 seconds apart. Its not too often I we get a chance here as the weather is always to nice.

Not available on mobile devices ??

I have just checked the settings and for some reason its coming up as not viewable on tv or mobile device and I cannot chance it.

I am off on holiday in july and I am hoping to do some more timelapse stuff whilst im away. I will be having a good play over the next few months to try and perfect it as much as possible and get my head around things better.

Back