First wedding, advice?

• Thread starter Deleted sulking member 63079
  • Start date
I'm going to ask my father in law to borrow his Canon 7D with the 70-300 L lens as a telephoto and backup. Although obviously if the worst happens I'll lose the versatility of the other lenses.

only do that if there is really no other option - having an unfamiliar body (indeed unfamilar system) as back up isnt a good idea ... in your shoes i'd be looking to either borrow a D7000 somewhere or at worst buy a second hand nikon body

I do prefer to shoot from a distance. Not being noticed and grabbing all the special moments without putting people off.

The more weddings I photographed, and the more snappers I watched in action at weddings, the more convinced I became that the theory that shooting with a long lens doesn't put people off is not borne out in practice. You may well feel more comfortable shooting from a distance, and be happier "not being noticed", and of course that's absolutely fine. But I don't for one minute buy the theory that that in itself avoids "putting people off".

Being inconspicuous and not being a PITA is far more to do with personality and experience than it is to do with focal length.

I mostly agree as a short lens is generally much less conspicuous, but the reason i like to have a 70-200 in the arsenal is for when the vicar/celebrant decides that the only permisible place for you to stand is right in one corner ;)

Its also useful for getting reaction shots in the congregation - like brides mother crying, small children looking adorable etc

(also ditto during speeches)

The more weddings I photographed, and the more snappers I watched in action at weddings, the more convinced I became that the theory that shooting with a long lens doesn't put people off is not borne out in practice. You may well feel more comfortable shooting from a distance, and be happier "not being noticed", and of course that's absolutely fine. But I don't for one minute buy the theory that that in itself avoids "putting people off".

Being inconspicuous and not being a PITA is far more to do with personality and experience than it is to do with focal length.

:agree: Nothing makes people close up and be self conscious then one bloke watching them through a 'big white lens'

:agree: Nothing makes people close up and be self conscious then one bloke watching them through a 'big white lens'
Which is where behaviour and personality come in. It's easy to catch people acting naturally with either a WA or tele lens, it's also easy to make people totally self conscious with both, it's all about how the photographer behaves.

I've had conversations with people who have told me how a photographer 'spoiled' a wedding by shooting everything constantly, but our customers reaction when seeing their pictures is that they hadn't realised we were even in the room when stuff happened.

This thread is brilliant this is the reason I love this site so many helpful people and so much information

Regards using a 70-200, a lot depends on whether you're shooting full frame or not. I find the 70-200 to be a totally different animal on crop and full frame, far more so than any other lens I have.

This thread is brilliant this is the reason I love this site so many helpful people and so much information

Definitely :)

Thanks all, got a few months to get some practice in etc first anyway, and plenty of time to absorb all of this advice!

Back